586,043 active members*
3,631 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Z axis issues after new BOB install

Z axis issues after new BOB install

Recently, I purchased a chinese spindle to mount in place of my router. After figuring out my current break out board could not control the spindles VFD for speed control, I purchased and installed a new break out board. I got everything set up (spindle, limits, touch probe, etc) tested and working great.

While waiting for some aluminum to arrive so I can cut out brackets to hold the new spindle, I decided to try out a craving.

This is the first run of g-code using the new break out board. Now I notice I have stepper motor issues, but only with the Z axis.
    The Z changes at least 1/4 inch deeper into my project all of a sudden. So I hit the E Stop. So after screwing up my work piece
    a dozen different times I noticed something.......

In the beginning, problems started out around half way through one step of the project.
    As soon as the machine runs G code, the spindle starts to lose it's z position.

After continually trying to figure out the problem I notice the lead screw moving when it's suppose to be holding the current position.

Would there be possible interference when I installed the new break out board? I had no problems like this with the previous board.

It also appears to only move when the X axis is moving in the negative direction.

I attached a short clip so you can watch whats happening with the Z axis stepper/lead screw.

Question Re: Z axis issues after new BOB install

TheHandyman,

It would help to know the make and model of your new breakout board.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Re: Z axis issues after new BOB install

Hi Jeff,

The best I can do for you. I also just went back into the shop and ran it without the router turned on.
    It Z stepper makes a weird clicking sound when the X axis is moving in the negative direction.
    Though runs fine in the X positive direction. I have a video upload to post soon.

Randy

Here is a short clip of whats going on without the router running. You can actually hear whats going on with the Z stepper while the X travels in the negative direction.

Hi HandyMan, I did listen to your video and could see/hear what you are talking about. IMHO I suspect
    you are getting 'crossover' noise into your z-axis causing spike type signals strong enough to activate
    your stepper. From the sounds I heard, it looks pretty random.
    FWIW, I had similar issues caused by one of my noisy devices and had to take some steps to eliminate
    the problem. I don't know how you are going to do that, becaue I am guessing your issue is in the
    chinese 'black-box'.

Just my opinion

cheers

Thanks for the reply kd8wdave,

I didn't have any problem with my other breakout board, I was thinking I maybe have
    some interference with-in my control box with wiring since making the changes. I'll have
    to open up my control box tomorrow and have a look around I guess.

Cheers,
    Randy

Randy,

If your computer parallel port only outputs 3.3 volts a buffered breakout board would be much more reliable.

Its possible your old breakout board was buffered.

A C10 or something similar may resolve your issue.

C10 - BI-DIRECTIONAL PARALLEL PORT INTERFACE CARD, CNC4PC

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Hi Jeff,
    I use one of these with a laptop.
    Cheers,
    Randy

Attachment 294690

CNC USB Controller UC100 for Mach3 CNC Controller USB to Parallel | eBay

I may just have a wiring problem with the new board......connections were hard to make on the ground pin.
    All 4 stepper grounds had to go under one pin. That could be a problem maybe or elsewhere on the board.
    Unless I have a bad solder joint on my aviation jacks. I had one bad one I noticed when I upgraded the board.
    I will have to verify everything in the control box in the morning.

Randy