Hey guys,

I just finished my first home built CNC using steppers. In the process I was able to score some AI Robotic actuators which I took apart for the THK Blocks and rails. They had some really good 200 and 400W Minertia Servo motors and it came with a huge controller box that looks like a VCR from the 80's. Being a home garage Hobby'st with no engineering or electrical background I have no idea how to start communicating with these servos. I would like to use them with my Lathe to automate it or perhaps use one as a spindle for my CNC router. Any help with understanding these would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:
1. Do all servos need their own specific controller hardware and if so will I have to buy this from the main company?
2. Do these Minertia motors (Yaskawa electric) have a specific software that I will need to get once I figure out how to connect them to my PC?
3. Can I use the motor as a spindle?
4. Will I need this VCR Controller box? I looks like it might be obsolete with today's technology. It only has a SCSI i/o connection which Im assuming is how you would connect it to a computer.
5. Is it worth all the trouble or should I just sell these and stick with the simple Stepper motors? Seems like Servos are much better comparatively.

Thanks for any help. I've been scratching my head about these motors for the past year and would like to use them if possible. Attachment 294750