586,076 active members*
3,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

UCCNC and UC300 disconnecting

Hi

I have installed the UCCNC and the UC300 on my router, after converting from Mach3. Still a long way to handle everything properly, at least for my application, but there is one problem that keeps returning, and found no one actually mentioning it.
    I first used the PC I used before with Mach3, but I was receiving constantly the disconnecting message: UC300 got disconnected, and the UCCNC will close. I could associate this event with the startup of a consumer - compressed air, spindle etc. I protected the computer with an UPS that improved the situation, such that the message will display more rare, but random, and mostly during idle.
    I switched to a laptop,. and now the message is less - about 2-3 times during 8h shift. But very annoying.
    I use an octocouplers BoB that is has been working fine before (with Mach3). So the UC300 board should be protected from both laptop and BoB ends.
    I use the USB cable provided, so shielded. Also, UC300 is in the controls box, as suggested by the manual.

Anyone has any such experience and found a remedy?

thanks
    Marius

Re: UCCNC and UC300 disconnecting

The only thing I can recommend is trying a different USB cable. I do get the disconnected message occasionally but it has been almost non existent since I switched over to UCCNC from Mach.

Also double check your bios settings to make SURE it is not in Power saving mode and will shut down the USB ports to conserve energy.

(;-) TP

I believe that I saw you post this on another forum, where you mentioned that this happened when the spindle started and stopped, meaning your VFD is causing the issue?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi

and thanks for the replies.
    I think for whatever reason I do not received the emails mentioning someone answered my question. Anyway, I updated the profile...

To the disconnecting issue: I think it has to do also with the type of cable I use. I tried to use a normal 2m extension to the current 1m cable provided with the UC300. More frequent disconnectings.
    Trying to use a 5m cable (double shielded) could not provide stable connection for more than 5sec.
    Now I am using only the 1m usb cable, i still receive the disconnecting.
    So I ordered an active USB cable, I hope this will solve the issue.

Indeed I will have to check on the bios for the usb settings - power saving mode or low current usb ports. I have setup the PC for running Mach3 (disabled many services etc), so maybe it has to do with this. Also, as it happens mostly when the router is idle, I think it can be some sort of saving mode activated and USB gets less power.

re ger21: it was not only the spindle, but also other external consumers that triggered the disconnection. Now I connected the Bob to the general ground (router body) to have the probe working, maybe this will help.

thanks again for the inputs
    Marius

Is your usb cable coiled? Run it straight if possible or if you need to shorten it, coil it in a figure of 8 instead.

I have a laptop I use with my uc300, it has 2 USB ports on the left side and a single on the right. I get problems with disconnections with both the left ports but the right port I don't, infact never, it's been connected for over a week before I have closed the machine down in the past. So it seems it can be the USB hub inside the laptop itself. So worth trying all the ports with the lead running nice and straight away from other leads and Reinstalling USB drivers.

Back to this same problem. I managed for a while to make it work, and get only 2-3 disconnecting messages during a day. Now, for no known reason, the problem is back, even more potent. Now the operating systems are unable to handle the g-code running with UCCNC and UC300 board. And It is happening with all 5 computers I have, from P4 to i5. winxp, win7 and win10.
    Either a very short usb cable or a longer active cable make no difference.
    I reinstalled the UCCNC on a fresh winxp machine, same effect.

The situation become tragic as production is waiting, and we struggle with the system.

any help appreciated.

best
    Marius

As it happens across a range of PCs I would say you have a ground loop problem that is causing a feedback into the device. Ground loops can cause all sorts of communication problems with a PC device depending on continuous communications. and no opto isolation will not help if the ground loop stays intact(still present).

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by nicubila View Post
    Back to this same problem. I managed for a while to make it work, and get only 2-3 disconnecting messages during a day. Now, for no known reason, the problem is back, even more potent. Now the operating systems are unable to handle the g-code running with UCCNC and UC300 board. And It is happening with all 5 computers I have, from P4 to i5. winxp, win7 and win10.
    Either a very short usb cable or a longer active cable make no difference.
    I reinstalled the UCCNC on a fresh winxp machine, same effect.

The situation become tragic as production is waiting, and we struggle with the system.

any help appreciated.

best
    Marius
    Something not right there, vmax could be right about the ground loop. How are you powering the uc300? USB or Terminals?

I power it by USB. And it looks like further outside consumers (i.e. compressed air) is giving the most disconnectings.
    I made today a check to all growing and now everything is star connected to a bolt in the metal Box. I will see tomorrow how it works.

ps: it looks like I am not that good with cnczone settings also, as i never get the message that someone posted on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by nicubila View Post
    I power it by USB. And it looks like further outside consumers (i.e. compressed air) is giving the most disconnectings.
    I made today a check to all growing and now everything is star connected to a bolt in the metal Box. I will see tomorrow how it works.

ps: it looks like I am not that good with cnczone settings also, as i never get the message that someone posted on this thread
    Could be worth powering by board terminals to rule out any USB power issues. A standard 5v switch mode power adapter put out a low level noise supply in most adapters, some are worse than other but a laptop adapter style one would likely output the least noise.