586,115 active members*
3,341 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Holes on surface of Cylinder

Holes on surface of Cylinder

I am trying to figure out how to place some holes on the surface of a cylinder that have to be machined out. Drilling holes on the outside of the part but along specific angles.
    I might be approaching this the wrong way, but what I did was create lines along the locations I need and wanted to then create my holes along the surface by snapping to the line and project them on the surface at the proper angles.
    I can't seem to figure out how to get the holes to lay along the surface of the cylinder.

A Picture and project is worth a thousand words so I have attached my bobcad file.
    Any and all help / suggestions is appreciated.

Re: Holes on surface of Cylinder

I am not exactly sure if this is what you want. But I took your hole and Extrude cut it through the cylinder then extracted the edge of the cut.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unfortunately I can't open the file. It is from a newer version (I am on V26 Build 1335)
    It sounds like you may have done what I needed, but were you able to get the hole center to snap to where my line intereseted the cylinder? That is where I am having the most difficulty.

Not sure I unerstand.I am short on time,,,but you might want to learn using the UCS ,,,check help files and Al's video's,,,hope that helpa.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhushf View Post
    I am trying to figure out how to place some holes on the surface of a cylinder that have to be machined out. Drilling holes on the outside of the part but along specific angles.
    I might be approaching this the wrong way, but what I did was create lines along the locations I need and wanted to then create my holes along the surface by snapping to the line and project them on the surface at the proper angles.
    I can't seem to figure out how to get the holes to lay along the surface of the cylinder.

A Picture and project is worth a thousand words so I have attached my bobcad file.
    Any and all help / suggestions is appreciated.
    To get the holes to align with the angles correctly I rotated the part so the angle where the hole is required is at 90 degrees (Top view), I created a circle the diameter of the part at the same plane as the angle line ( 2.0 in Z) and where the two lines intersect I placed a point, then snapped the circle for the hole to the point and extruded the circle as a solid and then just did a Boolean subtract and ended up with a hole the correct diameter that was cut at right angle (90 degrees) to the circumference of the part.

Attachment 294932

Hope that isn`t too involved for you but it is probably easier than messing with the UCS(s) if you aren`t up to speed with doing that, anyway have a look at the attached file and the image, not sure that`s what you are asking for but it may be of some help to you

Attachment 294934

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

OIC now Rob,,,,,,UCS takes awhile to learn,,,I avoided it like plague.Decided to finally learn it one day and now I have another powerful tool to use,,,I agree,,,not for the new guys.