586,061 active members*
4,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > Finally got a dm3000 and looking to convert to mach 3
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: Finally got a dm3000 and looking to convert to mach 3

I searched the internet more today for anything that will help me , I did find a site where the guy was saying he did use the encoder wired to the differential driver on the dg4s so I guess I'm kind of going in the correct direction. I tried it today but nothing moved. There is a green and red led that stay lit on the driver, so I went ahead and emailed the company and see what they can tell me. Whats the trick to unlocking that brake on the spindle? I know you said it needed to be energized to release but to what voltage? I tried 5v and 24v but neither did anything. The Spindle is still hard to turn.

It is a 120vac brake. I have it tied to the supply voltage of my Bardac, if the power is on, the brake is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A lazy man does it twice.

Finally got the spindle to move! It's not great but it moves. Many many bugs though to work out.

I have several bugs that need attention. Hopefully you can see something that I'm overlooking.

Upon finally getting the spindle to move, whenever I would use a simple command like g97 s200 m03, it would turn the spindle on but also the coolant haha. However I did see the option in the spindle tab on mach which I was accidentally sharing the same relay pinout as my coolant pump. Fixed it easily.

Now I have disabled the "spindle relay control" and I have the motor control as step/dir.

Issue 1* The spindle turns right on when I type in the command g97 s200 m03 however I can't turn it off after that. I've tried the m05 and nothing
    The spindle also will turn in reverse with the m04 command.

Issue 2* Recently whenever I turn the machine on the x and z motor decide to move on their own. When I first installed them I didn't have any issues. They still work in one direction when I try and jog but are very rough going the opposite way. If I power up the machine without it plugged into the computer via the db25 cable then the motors are solid and are holding. Which lead me to believe it could be something in mach 3? If that doesn't sound like a mach issue then I can start tracing every wire for each motor and see if there is an issue somewhere.

Finally Issue 3* This may in fact be a stupid question but I'm still learning. When the spindle is spinning I can stop it with my hands. The input voltage I have going to the drive Is only 24v. Do I need to go as far as maxing it out to 160v? I've posted a picture of its specs in the manual. I do also have the braking circuit that I can wire up also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manual.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	309390

Quick update, I fixed the stepper motors from moving on their own. I had to change the steps per and direction per to 2

Sorry I hadn't been posting, got a new hip Monday.

I figured the coolant relay had to be output pin related.

Reverse of the spindle is the same issue. Don't even assign reverse to a relay.

Finally in regards to motor controllers. The models with 120vac input normally have a max output of 130v. The 220 model outputs 180v.

Where are you getting the 200rpm at the spindle or motor? Which pulleys are the belts on? Could you optimize them for more torque?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Sorry I hadn't been posting, got a new hip Monday.

I figured the coolant relay had to be output pin related.

Reverse of the spindle is the same issue. Don't even assign reverse to a relay.

Finally in regards to motor controllers. The models with 120vac input normally have a max output of 130v. The 220 model outputs 180v.

Where are you getting the 200rpm at the spindle or motor? Which pulleys are the belts on? Could you optimize them for more torque?

I actually think that when I type in any speed that the spindle turns on at its max speed but it's slow considering I'm only giving it 24v. I may be wrong but I think the dg4s driver only has a dc input rather than an ac.Today I'm going to try and wire up the index pulse for a reading and see what happens then

The bardac 1600i-001 isolated dc drive. Is that what you have? I just about give up on this dg4s. I went out and bought a 140v dc psu and it's still not working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by mike3385 View Post
    The bardac 1600i-001 isolated dc drive. Is that what you have? I just about give up on this dg4s. I went out and bought a 140v dc psu and it's still not working correctly.
    I have an opportunity to get this exact one brand new for $475. Is that a good deal?

It sounds pretty expensive. Should be able to find them for 200 and under. Just keep an eye on eBay.

Regarding outputs. The 1600 takes either 220 and outputs a maximum of 180vdc or if the input is 110, the output will be 130vdc. No special power supplies needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mike3385 View Post
    Makes sense. Were you able to find out the wiring for those older steppers? I've read someone was having issues trying to figure that out
    Wiring isn't the issue. The drives are loud. The steppers are low inductance "high speed" steppers that drive through a gearbox. The issue is that they have to turn quite fast to move the axis at any decent rate of speed, which isn't such a physical issue because of the fact that they are low inductance motors and they have 100 steps per revolution rather than the normal 200. But it means that if you swap out the noisy stock drives for nice quiet microstepping drives the step frequencies get really high and it depends on the hardware's ability to generate signals at those frequencies. I may also be doing a conversion with LinuxCNC and stock motors. It can work but you want to see what the step rates are for your smooth stepper if you are changing out the drives, or you might want to look into a drive with an adjustable microstep increment.

Quote Originally Posted by danxj7x View Post
    Wiring isn't the issue. The drives are loud. The steppers are low inductance "high speed" steppers that drive through a gearbox. The issue is that they have to turn quite fast to move the axis at any decent rate of speed, which isn't such a physical issue because of the fact that they are low inductance motors and they have 100 steps per revolution rather than the normal 200. But it means that if you swap out the noisy stock drives for nice quiet microstepping drives the step frequencies get really high and it depends on the hardware's ability to generate signals at those frequencies. I may also be doing a conversion with LinuxCNC and stock motors. It can work but you want to see what the step rates are for your smooth stepper if you are changing out the drives, or you might want to look into a drive with an adjustable microstep increment.
    Thanks dan for the reply. I ended up using new steppers anyway and everything seems to be moving smoothly so far

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    It sounds pretty expensive. Should be able to find them for 200 and under. Just keep an eye on eBay.

Regarding outputs. The 1600 takes either 220 and outputs a maximum of 180vdc or if the input is 110, the output will be 130vdc. No special power supplies needed.

Well Fastest I've stayed patient and was able to nab a bardac for $265. I was able to get power to it along with using the original pot and it turned right on! So far so good. I guess my next task is to make it communicate with mach3. Which pins on the bardac did you use for that?

I know Ill need a 0-10v analog signal to control this beast and I don't think the c10 can do such a thing so I believe ill be looking through my inventory of random boards for one with an analog feature if not then ill have to buy one. Do you use your spindle in reverse or strickly one direction?

1 direction only

Page 4 of 4 234