586,058 active members*
3,347 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X3 Top Mounted Motor

I just finished a direct belt drive spindle conversion of my CNC X3. I figured I would post a couple of pictures. I mounted the motor on the top of the head and with the pulley ratios I get about 3100 RPM. I removed all the gears from the head. Seems to run with less vibration as well!

Very nice

Could you tell me the diameter of the X3's motor shaft please - I am considering fitting one to an X2 head?

Bird that looks great. Is it the same motor remounted or another motor altogether?

Also can you tell us a bit about what I presume is an air blast coolant and chip clearance.

Is it solenoid controlled? Is it coolant and air or just air?

PS: resize your photos. and use "manage attachments" instead of "insert photo"

digits - I don't have the diameter handy. I will see if I can measure it tonight.

Greolt - Yes that is the original motor, just a new paint job!
    Yes it is an air blast, I do mostly dry machining the air blast does a great job at keeping chips away from the cutter. There is a solenoid in the column enclose that I drive with Mach3 coolant on and off. The hole in the nozzel is small only about 1/16th. I keep the pressure set to about 20 PSI and and seems to be plenty to keep chips away, and not too much where my compressor is running all the time.
    Sorry about the photo size I will fix that!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bird_E View Post
    digits - I don't have the diameter handy. I will see if I can measure it tonight.

Greolt - Yes that is the original motor, just a new paint job!
    Yes it is an air blast, I do mostly dry machining the air blast does a great job at keeping chips away from the cutter. There is a solenoid in the column enclose that I drive with Mach3 coolant on and off. The hole in the nozzel is small only about 1/16th. I keep the pressure set to about 20 PSI and and seems to be plenty to keep chips away, and not too much where my compressor is running all the time.
    Sorry about the photo size I will fix that!
    Bob
    Cheers Bird_E - I just thought you must have had the measurments to make the pulleys...

Bob,
    nice job on the belt drive. I chose to keep the gearbox for the low end torque if needed. But I am finding I use my direct belt drive 95% of the time.
    I need to get one of those link belts for mine!

Digit's,
    the x3 motor shaft is 12mm.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S_J_H View Post
    Bob,
    Digit's,
    the x3 motor shaft is 12mm.

Steve
    Cheers Steve, I can start shopping for pulleys now

:cheers:

Hello Bob,

Nice job on the conversion. What is the orange hose that appears to connect to the motor through the brass fittings? Perhaps it just appears to connect.

Regards,

Chuck

Chuck,
    The orange hose has the power wires for the motor. It is there just to protect the wires and keep them out of the way.
    Bob