586,409 active members*
2,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > My HY 3040 column cnc is broken!

My HY 3040 column cnc is broken!

I do not actually require help, I title this thread to assist others when they search for help on this machine, which we all know is going to happen! I am not a cnc expert by any means, I am only self taught, but that can be a good thing since others that buy this machine likely don't know much either. I wanted to write this thread to give back to the cnc forum for all the giving it has gave me in the past.
    This machine was purchase by me as a second machine, more for emergencies in case my syil was to break down and it's handy for special orders or extra runs during busy times of year. I suspect most buyers, this would be their first machine and purchased because of cost and great buyer reviews on Amazon or eBay.
    To make a long story short as possible, I am pretty upset with eBay, I consider it sort of a scam. It's a 12 month warranty machine, seller reviews are awesome. You buy it, get it home, set it up and it does run awesome for a few months. So you left a great review too! Then it breaks and seller doesn't respond, warranty isn't honored, your stuck with a boat anchor and can't change your review, buy protection is expired, your basically SOL.

But there's good news!!! The machine has a great structure. If you find this thread and were thinking of buying it, I still say it's a great buy! BUT, I suggest just buy it bare bones for the structure, save money by not getting the a axis and any electronics in it. The money saved by doing this will nearly cover the costs of buying USA electronics and a better 4th axis.

Re: My HY 3040 column cnc is broken!

Sorry, got delayed awaiting approval. Sorry iPad sometimes does upside down photos :/

Anyhow. So it's started out, my 4th axis started to shutter. As a noob I suspected the motor, a not to difficult or expensive repair. I ordered one, installed it and it was still not working. Thus the need for a new board in the machine. Couldn't get any response through eBay for warranty so I contacted a website called buildyourcnc.com and they sold me a bob (break out board) and 4 drivers. I hated that 4th axis do I ordered a 50:1 gear drive off eBay. I gutted out the machine electronics. Inside there was a bracket and 4 spacer screws. I modified that L bracket and used those spacers to mount the board. It can't go out the side, not enough space so I have it facing the back instead. I stacked the drivers into a column 2 wide 2 tall with a piece of aluminum sandwiched inbetween. The power supply had to be removed and raised 1/2" to fit the column of drivers. Drilled holes to mount everything. I removed the fitted parts and wired everything together. There's a ton of great instructions for the bob and drivers online and the customer support was great too.

For this machine, set drivers to 1/4 step. Set amps at 2.7...using dip switches on drivers. Despite advice not to step the new 4 axis, it actually was necessary to keep it stepped at 1/4 too.

In Mach 3 you will change the settings for the axis pins. X is 2,3, y is 4,5, z is 6,7, a is 8,9
    You will then also enable the 4 red x's two columns right of that to be green check marks.

Motor tuning for this machine is 4064 steps, speed 100, accel 1
    Use same tuning for x,y,z

A axis is 111.111 steps. I think speeds I used were something like 700 and accel 25?

After testing all setting I made a note of them and taped them inside the back cover just in case some need ever arises I don't need figure it out again!!!

An idiot like me can fix this machine, that means anyone with determination can too!

JPowell

So it ran awesome for a few months, you did not say what is wrong with your machine

with you not knowing much about your machine, this is quite likely something very simple, and an easy fix
    Mactec54

I posted more, every time I post it says I must wait for approval

JPowell

Yes I got your message, I don't know why it won't let you post a reply, by your message, your driver ( Board ) could be out, it would be good to know if it is only one axes, as most only fail on one axes, and you can change to one that is not being used, to keep you going, like A axes could be used for any of the other axes, you just have to change in ports & pins the the pins to suit, it seems that the seller of these machines has sent replacement boards to others that have the same problem
    Mactec54

Ok, I will try again to continue.
    It was just a axis that was out on the board. The China board has all drivers on a single board, I suppose it could be possible to use y to drive a, I don't know. After searching many threads and discussing the issue with some cnc suppliers everyone seems to be of conclusion it was the board anyhow.
    I am a pretty determined type of person, so I just went for a total electronics rebuild and it wasn't as hard as I thought. I contacted buildyourcnc and the sold me a bob and 4 drivers. It's a very nice system which in some ways resembles how my syil x5 is set up inside. First thing I tackled, seemed logical to me, was reworking the inside to fit the parts. It wasn't possible to use the parallel hole in the machine. There us an aluminum L bracket with a board on it, and there is 4 spacer screw nuts inside the machine. I was able to use these parts, drill a few homes a mount the new Bob to that. The 4 drivers seemed to fit if I stacked them 2 wide and 2 tall. I used a piece of aluminum inbetween to build a sandwich. This tower of drivers was a bit to tall, but there's room to raise the power supply 1/2" which allows everything to fit nicely inside. After figuring out how it will all fit and mount, I pulled out the parts and wired them all. There were lots of online instructions so it was surprisingly easy!
    Another side issue I had with this machine was the spindle would shut down with an error if my AC unit came on or if I turned on the lathe. The plug and switch inside has male tips that the wires clip to and they were not a tight fit, and there's no ground wire inside. I added a ground wire and soldered the power connections. This bit of work did solve the spindle issue immediately.
    I cut a hole in the panel cover for the parallel port. I also like this because it lets some air flow out, which could be the route cause of the original electronic failure, certainly possible. Inside the panel I was sure to tape a piece of paper with all my new Mach settings.
    If you use the buildyourcnc electronics and keep the x,y,z steppers that come in the machine, you will change ports pins. X is 2,3, y is 4,5 z is 6,7, a is 8,9. Then two columns over you enable the corresponding red x's to be green check marks.
    In motor tuning, x,y,z are 4064 steps with the drivers dip switches at 1/4. I find about 100 velocity and 1 accel is working nice.
    The eBay 50:1 gear drive 4 axis is also set at 1/4 on the driver dip switches. The steps are 111.111, around 600 velocity and 25 accel.

Hopefully it lets me post some pictures

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics whenever you can get them up.

I've been having the same problem with my posts requiring the moderator to check. It must be some glitch in the system unless there are some new rules.

Best Wishes,
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by JPowell View Post
    I do not actually require help, I title this thread to assist others when they search for help on this machine, which we all know is going to happen! I am not a cnc expert by any means, I am only self taught, but that can be a good thing since others that buy this machine likely don't know much either. I wanted to write this thread to give back to the cnc forum for all the giving it has gave me in the past.
    This machine was purchase by me as a second machine, more for emergencies in case my syil was to break down and it's handy for special orders or extra runs during busy times of year. I suspect most buyers, this would be their first machine and purchased because of cost and great buyer reviews on Amazon or eBay.
    To make a long story short as possible, I am pretty upset with eBay, I consider it sort of a scam. It's a 12 month warranty machine, seller reviews are awesome. You buy it, get it home, set it up and it does run awesome for a few months. So you left a great review too! Then it breaks and seller doesn't respond, warranty isn't honored, your stuck with a boat anchor and can't change your review, buy protection is expired, your basically SOL.

But there's good news!!! The machine has a great structure. If you find this thread and were thinking of buying it, I still say it's a great buy! BUT, I suggest just buy it bare bones for the structure, save money by not getting the a axis and any electronics in it. The money saved by doing this will nearly cover the costs of buying USA electronics and a better 4th axis.
    Quote Originally Posted by stargeezer View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing your pics whenever you can get them up.

I've been having the same problem with my posts requiring the moderator to check. It must be some glitch in the system unless there are some new rules.

Best Wishes,
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by JPowell View Post
    Ok, I will try again to continue.
    It was just a axis that was out on the board. The China board has all drivers on a single board, I suppose it could be possible to use y to drive a, I don't know. After searching many threads and discussing the issue with some cnc suppliers everyone seems to be of conclusion it was the board anyhow.
    I am a pretty determined type of person, so I just went for a total electronics rebuild and it wasn't as hard as I thought. I contacted buildyourcnc and the sold me a bob and 4 drivers. It's a very nice system which in some ways resembles how my syil x5 is set up inside. First thing I tackled, seemed logical to me, was reworking the inside to fit the parts. It wasn't possible to use the parallel hole in the machine. There us an aluminum L bracket with a board on it, and there is 4 spacer screw nuts inside the machine. I was able to use these parts, drill a few homes a mount the new Bob to that. The 4 drivers seemed to fit if I stacked them 2 wide and 2 tall. I used a piece of aluminum inbetween to build a sandwich. This tower of drivers was a bit to tall, but there's room to raise the power supply 1/2" which allows everything to fit nicely inside. After figuring out how it will all fit and mount, I pulled out the parts and wired them all. There were lots of online instructions so it was surprisingly easy!
    Another side issue I had with this machine was the spindle would shut down with an error if my AC unit came on or if I turned on the lathe. The plug and switch inside has male tips that the wires clip to and they were not a tight fit, and there's no ground wire inside. I added a ground wire and soldered the power connections. This bit of work did solve the spindle issue immediately.
    I cut a hole in the panel cover for the parallel port. I also like this because it lets some air flow out, which could be the route cause of the original electronic failure, certainly possible. Inside the panel I was sure to tape a piece of paper with all my new Mach settings.
    If you use the buildyourcnc electronics and keep the x,y,z steppers that come in the machine, you will change ports pins. X is 2,3, y is 4,5 z is 6,7, a is 8,9. Then two columns over you enable the corresponding red x's to be green check marks.
    In motor tuning, x,y,z are 4064 steps with the drivers dip switches at 1/4. I find about 100 velocity and 1 accel is working nice.
    The eBay 50:1 gear drive 4 axis is also set at 1/4 on the driver dip switches. The steps are 111.111, around 600 velocity and 25 accel.

Hopefully it lets me post some pictures
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    JPowell

Yes I got your message, I don't know why it won't let you post a reply, by your message, your driver ( Board ) could be out, it would be good to know if it is only one axes, as most only fail on one axes, and you can change to one that is not being used, to keep you going, like A axes could be used for any of the other axes, you just have to change in ports & pins the the pins to suit, it seems that the seller of these machines has sent replacement boards to others that have the same problem
    hi guyss sorry for disturb. i really want to buy this cnc, the direct supplier inform me to use 2200 watt spindle if I need to work with cooper, stainless and steel. is it true?

thanks in advance.