586,110 active members*
3,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Tool Changer Problems

Tool Changer Problems

Under MDI or running a program the tool changer moves over like it's supposed to, deposits the tool, head moves up to clear the tool after the deposit, the tool changer starts to cycle forward, turns about a 1\4 inch then stops and I get an alarm (servos off). Running the tool changer under MDI with ATC forward and reverse the changer will cycle in reverse a couple of tools until it stops same as above, but running it in reverse it might cycle one tool then stop, or it might cycle to two or three tools then stop. On the other hand hitting ATC forward the changer might cycle the tool once but almost every time in forward it will stop regardless of what tool number it's on in the changer. The machine has not been used in about a week. We're kinda thinking it may be a switch sticking,,, or it may've been used to the excercise then just sat still for a week, needs to stretch it's muscles a little??LOL

This is the wild part, once the tool changer stops I reset the alarm to get the servos back on again, I can zero single axis (Z) and the changer will move back into position (back home), Z will zero and the tool changer will cycle backwards until it gets to tool one,, at this time even from tool 16, cycling in reverse it will make it all the way to tool 1 with no problem not stopping a bit?
    Wierd huh!!! Anybody have any suggestions or have had this problem before with a VF1??

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave,

You didn't say what year of a VF1 it is. so I'll make some general suggestions.

Several things to look for:

One : do a tool change and when the head moves up to clear the tool hit the e stop.
    Then remove the tool from the carousel.
    Look around in there and see if the star wheel has lots of chips stuck to it. Clean the chips from "between" the "teeth". you will have to do this at several locations around the wheel. Just index the carousel several times.
    Then apply a small amount of grease to the teeth.

Two: clean the moldex plug connectors for the tool changer, there are two of them located inside the arm that holds the tool changer to the head stock casting. Just remove the sheet metal cover, unplug the connectors and spray them with contact cleaner.

Three : There are four small Omron "ice cube" relays on the IO board that run the tool changer.( it's the big board, right hand lower as you are looking into the cabinet.)

Two run the shuttle in / out. The other two run the carousel rotate.
    Look in the manual to find the location. Just swap these relays one set for the other.
    Now if the tool changer alarms as it moves in or out. You will know that the one of the relays is bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails relays.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the information wms. I will try and take a look at that today. I did stop the carousel while it was out and the head was clear and looked all up inside it, there was minimal chips basically in the bottom, the star wheel is clean, and I put a little more grease on it. I'll look around and I think your probably on the money with the relays though. By the way it's a 91' VF-1.

Dave

A couple more suggestions passed on to you that I had to correct one time, to get my tool changer back in service.
    1- Engage the E Stop.
    2- Take a look at the motor and make sure that it is still bolted tight to the frame with the flat head screws.
    3- Shake the rear of the motor itself and see if it is tight to the front portion of the housing (you may also see a grease leak).
    4- Inspect the 2 brushes in the motor for loose wires to the carbon, and/or wore out brushes.

WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE 4 RELAYS SEE IF THE CONTACT POINTS ARE STUCK TOGETHER
    IF SO PULL THE RELAY -- REMOVE THE CLEAR COVER (CAREFULLY) AND LIGHTLY SAND THE POINTS WITH 400 GRIT OR FINER
    ITS A GOOD IDEA TO DO THE REST TO ---- IT SURE SUCKS WAITING FOR REPLACEMENTS WHEN YOU CAN FIX THE ONES YOU HAVE BUT
    SOMETIMES THE RELAYS DO JUST FAIL AND NEED TO BE REPLACED

IF YOU CANT TELL IF THE POINTS ARE STICKING SWAP THE RELAYS AROUND AND RUN ANOTHER TOOL CHANGE --- IF SOMETHING DIFFRENT FAILS YOU KNOW ITS THE RELAY
    IF THE SAME PROBLEM OCCURS YOU MIGHT HAVE MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Hi, just in case it is your indexing motor that is shot DONT buy one from Haas! they will want to charge you £700 here in the U.K. Go to minarik.com and they will ship you the same motor, you will have it in three working days, and it will cost you less than £300.... unbeatable value and all the way from the U.S of A.