586,094 active members*
4,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VF3 communication problems. Machine can send, not recieve programs via RS232

VF3 communication problems. Machine can send, not recieve programs via RS232

My VF3 just quit talking to my computer. Not completely, the Haas will send programs to the computer, it just won.t receive them from my computer. I'm using the rs232 port on the Haas. Checked the cable, both visually and with a loop back. Passed that. Tried a different computer, same result. I can receive, but I can't send. Tried re-booting the Haas, tried clearing out all the program memory, nothing has helped. I had sent a program to the machine, cut it, and tried to send another program, nothing. Anyone have any ideas? Yeah, I've already called Haas, but they can't get here for a couple of days and I've parts to be makin!

s00073055 Guest

Re: VF3 communication problems. Machine can send, not recieve programs via RS232

Quote Originally Posted by greggv View Post
    My VF3 just quit talking to my computer. Not completely, the Haas will send programs to the computer, it just won.t receive them from my computer. I'm using the rs232 port on the Haas. Checked the cable, both visually and with a loop back. Passed that. Tried a different computer, same result. I can receive, but I can't send. Tried re-booting the Haas, tried clearing out all the program memory, nothing has helped. I had sent a program to the machine, cut it, and tried to send another program, nothing. Anyone have any ideas? Yeah, I've already called Haas, but they can't get here for a couple of days and I've parts to be makin!
    Hello
    Just to confirm are you getting "waiting" on the bottom of the screen after doing (list prog/all/recv rs232) before you send the program.

Re: VF3 communication problems. Machine can send, not recieve programs via RS232

Yes, I am getting the "waiting for data" on the bottom of the screen. After a 6 hour wait, with nothing changed, it works again! I can't figure this out, and really need to find out what went south so I don't get stuck again. I'm hoping someone here has some ideas.

s00073055 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by greggv View Post
    Yes, I am getting the "waiting for data" on the bottom of the screen. After a 6 hour wait, with nothing changed, it works again! I can't figure this out, and really need to find out what went south so I don't get stuck again. I'm hoping someone here has some ideas.
    If you where not getting "waiting" i was going to suggest looking at the revc rs232 keypad button. these machines do not seem to like working for any decent length of time without something going wrong.

Geez, this Haas has been great for us as far as being reliable. This is the first serious problem in years. We do keep it maintained well as it's older (1997), but it's got to be the most reliable CNC I've ever had any dealings with.

If yours has two RS-232 ports then try swapping the cables inside the machine from one port to the other and plug your patch cord into the other port. I had the board on one of those ports go bad before.