586,068 active members*
4,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Super X3 spindle controller (by Syil)

Super X3 spindle controller (by Syil)

Hi,

has anybody received spindle CNC control board from Syil?

The instructions are partly very unclear. Can somebody comment...

1) There are connectors To Driver and To Control Board. It is clear, that using those connectors allow to connect it between Sieg Super X3 keyboard and control electronics, but the names are unclear for me. Is Driver = Control electronics and Control Board = keyboard ?

2) There are potentiometers W1 and W2, but why I should use those?

3) Where to connect To-ESTOP? To the Syil 4axis interface board V1.2 E-STOP socket? Is it enabling Syil original E-STOP switch?

4) Where to connect FOUT?

Regards,
    Indrek

Here is also picture...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spindle CNC Control board.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	26952

I am not native English speaker, so maybe I am just not getting the point. And seems, somebody translated those instructions is neither. So, I am a little bit confused here, as the instruction states:

"Too low PWM frequency will bring yawp when the spindle is running . when the wikipedia is 0%,speed of spindle be controlled via W2 potentiometers, when the wikipedia is 100%, speed of spindle be controlled via W1 potentiometers, detaied setup instruction please refer for potentiometers instruction".

and this special potentiometer instruction states: "There is two rotate speed setup potentiometer in here .. W1 and W2 When the wikipedia of W1 corresponding to the spindle control is 100%, measure the volts d.c. between the point TP2 and point TP1(GND) ,the higher the voltage is, the faster rotate speed is.

When the wikipedia of W2 corresponding to the spindle control is 0%, measure the volts d.c. between the point TP3 and point TP1(GND) ,the higher the voltage is, the faster rotate speed is.

The two potentiometers are loopy potentiometer so that it is accurate to adjust ."

Can this mean, that W1 is for adjusting low speed and W2 for adjusting high speed and I must just try it out and adjust using those potentiometers? Or is there something more clever here? Why I should measure the voltage, is it just for getting background information?

Also, FOUT instruction is quite confusing too: "The interface show[..] that speed`s pulse signal . connect it to controller pc board after can show actual speed by MACH software .
    Output is open collector (OC) ,the first stitch is GND, the second stitch is collector C , pay attention to the connection when you do it."

As far as I manage to understand FOUT is for giving to MACH back rotation speed indication. BUT, I can not connect FOUT to the 4axis cnc interface board v1.2, as there is no place for FIN (on something like that. Or, does Sieg Super X3 has some output already, from where I can get rotation speed information and FOUT is despite its name INPUT connector?

---
    Also some questions related to CNC interface board V1.2:
    - I have only 4 limit switch connectors soldered to the board, but there are 8 places. Are they connected in parallel? Or is there way to connect 8 isolated limit switches?
    - what is tool adjuster interface? Is it electrical switch for "making sure" tool height? I.e., I must place some electrical limit switch to the table and before any mashining move head to the right place and drive Z axis lower, until switch engages - to make sure current tool hight? Could somebody post some pics about such implementations, please?

Breakout board = Board that the parallel cable plugs into.

Spindle control board = Daughter board added beneath the Sieg main board in the back of the mill column.

FOUT is for reporting the RPM to MACH. I myself am a little confused on it's use since we haven't implimented it yet.

The original display connector is plugged into the new daughter board; the daughter board connecter is then placed in the original display plug.

The E-Stop is from the daughter board to the breakout board. If you had an original mill without a spindle control. You will not need the original two wire ESTOP.

Pots should be pre-set. No adjustment needed. One is for low end speed, the other is high speed. You can over / under speed your spindle. Make sure you are within spec 80-1900 low speed spindle 300-3600 high speed. No faster than these. You can tell if your spindle is under speed because it will not have smooth motion at its lowest speed.

The breakout board is setup with 8 ports for double duty, (limits and homing). They are wired in parallel.

The tool height option is a port used for tool touch off or digitizer probe.

You will also need the larger transformer that accompanies the spindle daughter board. Did you get one?

If you go to Syil America's Support page HERE. I will have the PDF for the manual (in English) there Monday.
    Direction, Commitment, Follow Through

CNC Interface board (i.e. breakout board)

Name:	8. 4axis CNC interface board V1.2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	27038

Name:	9. Power supply for Interface Board.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	27039

Main Power Supply

I am not sure, is it "big" or "normal". Can You confirm? Currently, I am getting 100V output to the driver side. Should I adjust Voltage (or what is the reason to have potentiometer there). Also, what is the idea of R.C.G and R.C. terminals (currently they are connected).

Name:	11a. Driver Power Supply.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	27040

Name:	11b. Driver Power Supply.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	27041

Quote Originally Posted by SyilAmerica View Post
    The original display connector is plugged into the new daughter board; the daughter board connecter is then placed in the original display plug.
    Yep, this is obvious, but my question was actually related to the fact that new spindle control board by Syil has 2 sockets: "to control board" and "to driver" and how not to mix those up (in case it is important at all..?)

As the board come in way "to driver" had cable connected, and the other had not - can I interpret your instructions in way, that original display plug should be attached to "to control board" socket, and "to driver" socket (using Syil cable) should connected to SIEG main board. I hope, I get you right ?

Quote Originally Posted by SyilAmerica View Post
    The breakout board is setup with 8 ports for double duty, (limits and homing). They are wired in parallel.
    As you see, I have only 4 of those 8 sockets on real breakout board. But if they are parallel, this means I don't need to brother about purchasing and soldering 4 more sockets, as I can easily just use 4 existing ones and I will not loose any functionality (as in real there is anyway functionality only for 4 travel limiters.)? And homing is happening together with 1 side travel limiting, i.e. if axis reaches its travel limit, it is also counted as homing? And, there is NOT possible to set up in more complicated way, i.e. using different locations for travel limit and homing?

I have one more question related to A-axis homing. I had only 3 optical sensors per kit, nothing for Z-axis travel. But I quess, I still need something to make sure A-axis position. So, probably I miss sometging (one more optical sensop plus something triggering it... It would be nice to have some pics, how this triggering setup should also look like IRL (mechanical implementation of sensor/triggering device).

Regards,
    I.