Hi guys,

I work in an Electronics repair shop, we fix the electronics and motors used in CNC machines and other industrial hardware.

One of our clients has a Walter Grinder that is using the guts of an IBM XT clone computer for its CNC control. And the machine refuses to boot becuase of a Hard Disk error.

These hard disks are no longer available. And our shop does not have any way to read them directly, or to test the Disk controller card.

What we DO have is a way to replace the old Hard Disk system with a Flash drive. I just need to know what files are needed to run this machine.

The client sent me his "backup" and from that I have:
- STD50.exe (looking inside this program I see it should run under DOS 3.3 or later, and I found the text string I used for my subject line)
- STD50 3.5" floppy, this contains a number of files and folders that look like a machine and/or tool configuration.
- BSR MS Dos 5.0, this 3.5" floppy is not readable.

What I would like to know is:
1. When the PC boots, does it run STD50? Are there any command line parameters needed?
2. Should the config files be in a sub-folder, or do they have to be in the root folder, or (worse) on a floppy?

What I'm making is an ISA card that will replace the current disk controller. This card has an IDE disk interface, and I will connect to that a FLASH IDE drive module. So the clieint will have an SSD replacement for his aging (slow) hard disk. One that should outlive the machine. Well, outlast the controller anyway. Although repairig the controller would be a lot easier than the disk!

I posted more technical details and photos to the Vintage Computer website:
Looking for links to info, parts surplus for Seagate ST-225

Thanks in Advance!
Rich.