586,104 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > 3D contouring challenge

3D contouring challenge

After 10 months of being 'on restriction' from my CNC machine (my wife said something about not paying enough attention to her and the yard - so I wasn't allowed to 'touch' my machine until certain large yard projects were completed - that was a LOOOONG 10 months!!) I am wanting to get back into CNC routing with both hands and feet.

My ultimate goal has always been to do 3D contour routing. When I purchased Dolphin, I was pretty sure I understood this as possible. I have started with what I think is a fairly simple project... I want to route a clock face with the Mercedes Benz logo in 3 dimensions. It's a fairly straight forward logo with simple geometry (triangles and a circle). I have an .IGES file that I have downloaded that I would need to modify (it has the star coming 'out' of the front and 'out' at the back as well - I want a flat back to sit on the wall). I have watched the video (single) on how to 'pick a face' and then apply the contour routing process in DCAM... but I'm not sure that is going to give me what I want. Or at least - it will take HOURS of converting 'faces' to routing contours - and then somehow 'stitching' them or otherwise combing the files into G-Code.

Am I wrong? Is this really going to be easier than I think? I can attach the IGES file if that helps - but I don't want to risk contravening copywrite laws on the forum.

I'll be watching this forum for responses and suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

Arden

Re: 3D contouring challenge

Ok... It's not possible with Dolphin. Rodney has said 3d is coming but who knows when.

The way I do this is to create 3d machine paths in 3dcut and import them into Vcarve Pro. I have to create both an STL and DFX file and overlay this for it to work. The new Vcarve 8 will do all this for you..

Cheers