586,103 active members*
3,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Re: UPGRADE MULTICAM 22 Plus

In the process of upgrading my MultiCam 22 Plus controller to a Planet CNC 3/4 I have ran across a problem with the accuracy of the piece being routed,

First let me tell you what I did:
    The entire old MC22 controller was bypassed.
    With the new Planet CNC 3/4 controller and new drivers connected directly to the steppers.
    All axis's were calibrated and are right on the screws.

The problem:
    Most of my plaque making projects files take about 3/4 to one hour to route with a V-bit, and something less than that to hog out the background.
    The longer the file the more inaccurate the steppers become. As much as an 1/8". When I execute the next file nothing matches.
    Again, the longer the file takes the more it's off.
    I can switch back to the old MultiCam controller and it works fine. Every plaque is right on the mark.

I have checked:
    The power, All power supplies are right on the mark for output. I have tried an A/C filter with no luck. I have tried plugging each power supply in a different circuit with no luck.
    I have tried using different file types with my Vetric software with no luck.
    I have slowed the speed down by half as opposed to what the MultiCam controller outputs. Slipping a step is not an issue.

I'm sure your asking yourself, if the MultiCam is working, why change. I am using 1995 software application. The newer apps are so much more user friendly.I don't want to fork out the $8k+ that MultiCam wants to upgrade my cnc router.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jjim Markevitch
    Grapevine, TX
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1299.JPG   Pic 07.jpg   Pic 11.jpg  

Two questions: Are all axis off or just 1-2? Second, are using the same wiring from drivers/old control to the motors?

Thanks for the reply. All three axis are off, X, Y, and Z. The picture of the connector block is not very clear but it is between the steppers and the old drivers. That is existing wire. I seen no need to replace it. The other end of the block goes to the new drivers.

Hope this helps.

Jim Markevitch
    Grapevine, TX

OK, I can't make much of the photo, but make sure the new setup has any wire shielding grounded on the cabinet side....electrical noise could be the issue.

You might also try chucking a pen in the spindle and leaving the spindle off, see if removing that large source of noise makes the issue go away.

Good luck

Thanks, will give it a try.