586,103 active members*
3,339 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > How to mill the side of a part efficiently

How to mill the side of a part efficiently

Hello,

I have XR6 express and I have a question. I am new to CNC milling (I've been messing with XR6 for about 3 days total) but have been programming lasers for almost 12 years and a waterjet for almost 6.

I am trying to mill the side of a 2" steel block. I am attaching an image of what I'm trying to accomplish.

The question I have is, When I do this using the mill profile command it is milling the profile then stepping down (z direction) a value I define and repeating the process. I have a 3" end mill and would like to do this in steps going towards the part (y direction) the full value of 2" depth. What am I doing wrong?

Re: How to mill the side of a part efficiently

I have a 3" end mill and would like to do this in steps going towards the part (y direction) the full value of 2" depth
    You need to set the "remove amount" and the "stepover" in the profile dialog to do what you are asking.. Then set the depth to full cut .

If need be, you can post your sample file here. And we can have a look. And send it back with the values filled in for you to look over.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)