586,108 active members*
3,143 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5 amp motor for my Taig CNC Mill

Attachment 297996Attachment 297998Attachment 298000Attachment 298002

I just wanted to share this with anyone interested, I have been looking for a couple of years for a motor for my Taig cnc mill. I only have a couple of months a year to work in my shop so this takes me a long time. I found a 5 amp brushless motor very quite and weighs less than 10 lbs and I only had to drill 4 holes in my existing motor mount to mount this. I almost bit the bullet and bought on of the $600.00 + dollars then I stumbled onto this set up for $99.00. I have tried treadmill motors, the motor Penn offers and a bunch of others but this is by far the best. I can make chips fly. Not completely done with the installation but it is up and running. I had to drill out the pulley to fit the shaft on the new motor. the motor runs 4500 RPM's and can be adjusted by the control box and the pulleys. I may put one on my Taig lathe also. If you are looking for a replacement powerful motor this may be just what you need. I found it on ebay under sewing machine brushless motors. I hope this post helps some one else out.

Re: 5 amp motor for my Taig CNC Mill

There is a lot of talk on the Yahoo Taig forum about those. They seem to be an increasingly popular option..

bob

Can you give us some more information on this motor, or possibly a link.

Genuine Consew CSM1000 Servo Sewing Machine Motor 3 4HP CS1000 CSM550 SM550 1 | eBay

If the link is dead, search ebay for "sewing machine motor servo".

bob

That sure looks big on the Taig. Do you use a counterweight or gas spring to help with the weight?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    That sure looks big on the Taig. Do you use a counterweight or gas spring to help with the weight?
    Sorry for no answers. I have been laid up after a shoulder operation, this motor weighs less than 10 lbs. I bought it off of ebay, you can find them under a search for brushless sewing machine motor, the prices range from $99.00 to $135.00 depending on the seller, free shipping also. I have been very happy with this motor so far. it has plenty of power

Is there any provision for a 0-10V analog speed control input, so your CAM program can control spindle speed?

I am not sure about the speed being controlled by CAM, it seems while I was doing my research I checked into adding a potentiometer and had thought that I could but at this point I cannot answer your question. on the pic with the piece of wood wedged in between is the speed controller, with the wedge in place like it is the motor runs 4500 rpm's. by adjusting the wedge I can adjust the speed, with that controller it is very sensitive.