586,670 active members*
3,365 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Ways to control mist coolant

Ways to control mist coolant

I am in the process to install a mist coolant system on the mill. I have all components to be able to switch the coolant on and of from the computer. That is a relay and a 24v solenoid valve. I can think of 3 different ways to do this.

1 Use a available pin and control mist coolant with Gcode. I belive M7 is Mist on in mach. But what pin should I use and what signal can I get from it? 5 or 12V?

2 Use the same signal as from the flood coolant. By installing 2 mechanical switches in front I could chose if I want mist, flod or both on at the same time.

3 Just control it manually. But then it would be on untill I go there and shut it down.

I can't find any documentation on the novakon BOB but I hope someone here can lead me in the right direction.

Re: Ways to control mist coolant

As there are no unused outputs on the BOB, you really have no choice but to piggy-back onto the existing pump relay/SSR.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    As there are no unused outputs on the BOB, you really have no choice but to piggy-back onto the existing pump relay/SSR.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thank you. That makes it pretty straight forward. :-)
    Made By Viklund

Just a touch overkill: use a Pokeys...

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Ways to control mist coolant

On my pulsar I just installed a switch on the side panel that chooses either flood or mist. The output for the mist activates a $10 solenoid to turn on the air. For the mist fluid i just fill a bottle with the same flood coolant using the wash down hose.

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    On my pulsar I just installed a switch on the side panel that chooses either flood or mist. The output for the mist activates a $10 solenoid to turn on the air. For the mist fluid i just fill a bottle with the same flood coolant using the wash down hose.
    Same thing I am going to do. But I might get the coolant directly from the tank.
    Made By Viklund

That might be tough if u are using the cheap Chinese one that I'm using - u need it levelish w the nozzle.

[QUOTE=MBViklund;1788946 That is a relay and a 24v solenoid valve. I can think of 3 different ways to do this.

.[/QUOTE]

There is a 4th way if using a VFD, use an output that picks up the coolant relay when the spindle output is set to Up-to-Speed , if necessary a simple SPDT switch can be included for Auto/Manual.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

My next project in the queue is sorting the same problem out.

I have air and mist coolant, I've already bought a solenoid and found it takes forever to pull the coolant up from the floor so I bought a cheapo pump to help. Working with wood, I just want an air blast, and I'm thinking of setting up a standalone circuit which lets me set period and duty cycle for those (ie how often and for how long the solenoid gets opened), together with a toggle for the coolant pump. Idea being to just run these independently, maybe with a trigger off the VFD "running" output.

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    That might be tough if u are using the cheap Chinese one that I'm using - u need it levelish w the nozzle.
    I have tried it, but with water. It had no problems sucking water from 2m below. If I can use it from the tank I will, otherwise I'll do it the same way as you.

Mist Coolant Lubrication Spray System Metal Cutting Engraving Machine Cooling Sprayer Sale-Banggood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    There is a 4th way if using a VFD, use an output that picks up the coolant relay when the spindle output is set to Up-to-Speed , if necessary a simple SPDT switch can be included for Auto/Manual.
    Al.
    That is a good idea for most people. But I am using 2 spindles and 2 vfds (High RPM subspindle). So I am going to install a switch to choose either flod or mist and control it from the coolant signal from the BOB.
    Made By Viklund