586,395 active members*
2,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Nesting of an NC File

Hi All

Does anyone know of a software package that can nest NC files (Not DXFs). Basically, we have 5 axis files that we want to linear nest (no rotating, as this would obviously make things much more complex). We need to be able to specify spacing for the nest and select NC files. The software literally just needs to take the limits of the files (lowest X Y, highest XY) and nest the limits of the selected files onto a sheet. Once nested, the XY value need to be combined and adjusted accordingly and a new file export. If it could read the file and combine in an order to minimise tool changes it would be much better . Does anyone know of such package? Or know a company that may be interested in the development of such project?
    I have made a simple VB program to read the NC files and output the limits of the part, so believe it could be done.

Thanks

It's a bit ugly but I have written myself an Excel spreadsheet to do this.
    I enter the original G-Code and specify the X and Y offsets that I want.

If you have put enough REM statements into your original file you can then re-order the sections of programme to minimise tool changes.

It gets its knickers in a twist if the original G-Code puts the Z instruction straight after the X&Y on a G02 or G03. It prefers it after the I&J.

I'm not a programmer so I'm sure somebody who knows what they are doing could make a better job of it. ;-)

Double post!

But I did say that I'm not a programmer! ;-)