586,116 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > What cam program are you using for 4th axis tormach programming?
Page 1 of 2 12

What cam program are you using for 4th axis tormach programming?

I have been using nx simply cause I use it every day at work, but would like to do an independent cam program at home something simple that will do actual 4th axis programming. What are you using that you do 4th axis machining continuous. I own Bobcad v23 but it will not do a continuous spiral x, and z 4th axis machine program. If nothing comparable to nx then I will just continue my standard route of staying at work a bit extra to do my programs.

Re: What cam program are you using for 4th axis tormach programming?

I'm using SprutCam currently and it does a good job with 4th axis operations. It will set you back a vir over $1,000 if you purchase it from Tormach, and it isn't the most intuitive to learn. Once you get used to the order of operations and the terminology it does quite well. I don't know how much 4th axis work you have to do, but it would be hard for me to justify the cost of a package that will do continuous rotary tool paths when I could beg and borrow time at work.

Yeah I expect it to cost. I do only prototype work si it's used often.

Then you should probably check out Sprut. I looked at a lot of CAM packages because 4th axis was a necessity for the rotary molding equipment I was working with. Basically it beat out every other CAM software from a features/benefits ratio versus total spend. It was a rough road though because there wasn't much help, tutorials or even documentation when I first started using the software. The latest versions are pretty sweet and there is a larger user base now. Just be aware that it requires the use of a USB dongle for the license to be active. Good luck, and if you see anything else out there that looks like a good solution please share what you find.

+1 for sprutcam
    It is a PIA to learn but is a capable program once you understand its (anti) logic.
    The next option is 4x the price

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Then you should probably check out Sprut. I looked at a lot of CAM packages because 4th axis was a necessity for the rotary molding equipment I was working with. Basically it beat out every other CAM software from a features/benefits ratio versus total spend. It was a rough road though because there wasn't much help, tutorials or even documentation when I first started using the software. The latest versions are pretty sweet and there is a larger user base now. Just be aware that it requires the use of a USB dongle for the license to be active. Good luck, and if you see anything else out there that looks like a good solution please share what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    +1 for sprutcam
    It is a PIA to learn but is a capable program once you understand its (anti) logic.
    The next option is 4x the price
    And the multiplier is higher yet if you also want to add turn capability. SprutCAM is an impressive bargain once you get past the learning curve.

+1 SprutCAM

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    And the multiplier is higher yet if you also want to add turn capability. SprutCAM is an impressive bargain once you get past the learning curve.
    If 4th axis is required then +1 on sprutcam.
    Learning curve as mike and others mention is more like a cliff at first. Spending some nights just learning and experimenting helped me climb the cliff. Sounds like you have some cam experience and this would help a great deal getting up and running. On the other hand it could cause some sort of metal conflict and possible breakdown if your using one program at work and another at home. Good luck and hope you find something that works well for you.
    On a side note cam skills "or my cam skills" appear to be a perishable skill and if not practiced regularly I find my self struggling to get up to speed and things done. With that in mind I try to spend any free time I have refining my cam skills and keeping them fresh.

GIBBSCAM.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Anyone use DeskProto?

Learning curve is no worry I am more worried about the software being able to do the particular tool path I am looking for. I know ug, solidworks, mastercam, and bobcad just do not own one that can produce the tool path. I use ug at work everyday it is too expensive for my home shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Learning curve is no worry I am more worried about the software being able to do the particular tool path I am looking for. I know ug, solidworks, mastercam, and bobcad just do not own one that can produce the tool path. I use ug at work everyday it is too expensive for my home shop.
    Bobcam for Solidworks V4 will do it, of course Solidworks is needed to run it...

Yeah I have been offered that but I do not own solidworks. Not a cheap route.

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Learning curve is no worry.
    This might be true of the newer versions, but if you were handed something older than version 8 you would probably exclaim WTH is this a lot LOL. It's becoming more and more like other CAM packages these days and you can make parallel logic work to your advantage. Sometimes, however, the Russian thought and translations are very powerful detractors. If you haven't seen their version 10 previews yet check them out...Rotary machining is getting a huge upgrade for user friendliness. https://youtu.be/9uERlpSV2uU

I am saving up a large pile of swarf and chips to help me make the leap from version 7 as soon as version 10 proves to be stable.

Looks good I will have to look into the price if it is as cheap as the competitors. Looks simple enough.

For my CAD package I use Rhino. It is incredibly powerful and superior to most high end packages if you are into design. I know of no other CAD package that has a programming language like Grasshopper that creates 3D in the CAD window. Because of Rhino I use RhinoCAM. It has some frailties like all S/W but it is a plug-in for Rhino which means I run it in the CAD package and can redesign while working on toolpath generation if something is discovered that needs changing.

For continuous 4 axis work I use SprutCam 9 and for everything else HSMWorks

I love Rhino CAD as well. It is an amazing value and exports IGS files flawlessly that I use in SprutCAM.

BTW.......just heard from MecSoft yesterday on their webinar that RhinoCAM 2016 will eliminate the dongle. That will be nice in many ways. The only issue is when you use it on more than one PC it will be difficult if one is not connected to the internet.

Page 1 of 2 12