586,047 active members*
3,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What comes with Tormach's path pilot?

What comes with the path pilot from Tormach as far as hardware? Is it just a PC + Mesa 5i25 card? Does it need a 7i76 or anything else? So if I ordered a PCNC 770 from Tormach and a 5i25 from Mesa I would be set, right?

Re: What comes with Tormach's path pilot?

Yes, although actually Tormach gives you a better deal on the the card then you can buy from Mesa ($80 vs. $89), since they are getting a bulk discount.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Ah thanks, good to know. I'll probably have to go with the 6i25 because of the available slots on my motherboard. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you do not need to order anything other than the controller with the mill. My card and Path Pilot was already installed on my lathe controller.

Reread a bit. Are they selling a mill without a controller? I know that was not an option on the lathe and I think it is the same with the 440.

Okay, I stand corrected. Looks like you can put it in the cart without the controller.
    Lee

Yep, they're charging ~$700 for the pathpilot controller which is simply a PC and a Mesa card. I already have a PC available so I'm trying to save some money there. They will send you the pathpilot software either free or free with shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by 1abrat View Post
    Yep, they're charging ~$700 for the pathpilot controller which is simply a PC and a Mesa card. I already have a PC available so I'm trying to save some money there. They will send you the pathpilot software either free or free with shipping.
    This is what I did and it works great. Just beware that you will receive a written note with your Mesa card in the shipment that says your installation of PathPilot is not supported. Depending on what support is worth to you, you might want to overspend on the computer and pay their $700 combo price.

I have still been able to report bugs and receive updates no problem. As as example: I'm guessing if your BIOS configuration doesn't allow you to use the main panel power switch that Tormach will not assist you.

If you don't order the computer + 5i25/6i25 from Tormach you need the "upgrade kit" which includes a DVD of the base software plus a manual for $34.50. It is probably better to get the Mesa card + DVD + manual for $105/$115 depending on which card you need.

Awesome customer service and support. I speak from very recent experience.
    Entropy Sucks