586,100 active members*
3,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cincinnati FTV

Hi,

Has anyone here had any experience with the Cincinnati FTV (Fixed Table Vertical) machining centers. Our company is considering buying one to replace an old 50 Taper. We are particularly wondering about reliability and rigidity. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

My company has purchased one about 1.5 years ago. The machine is fast and is accurate but we did have severe coolant leaks from what seemed like everywhere, we replaced the tool changer gear box 2 times, the spindle would wiggle loose a 6" face mill tossing it into the doors and other minor little things. I do have to say that the manufacturer of the machine did work through all of the problems and stuck by their machine.

JV

JV,

How is the rigidity of the machine with the linear ways? How quick was their response to your problems? Also, what size of machine did you purchase? Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated.

The machine we have, compared to a box way machine regarding ridgidity, seems to be the same except faster. The size of the machine is a FTV1050-3700. Service was quick and now that they are owned by the MAG group I would consider buying another one.

JV

Time to Buy!

JV,

Okay, we are now seriously considering the FTV1050/1800 or 2500. We will probably buy within the month. I wonder if you could give me some particulars. What kind of machining are you doing with your FTV (i.e. steel hogging, aluminum hogging, etc)? What box ways are you comparing to when you say that the FTV is as rigid as box way machines? We run all Mori Seiki mills and their box way machines are very rigid. Any more info that you would care to share would be much appreciated. Also, where are you located and would you be willing for someone to come and watch your FTV run? Thanks.

LB

box way

FTV is a beatiful construction. The design is a very wise mime of a wall type construction m/c. For the axis traverse, the nut is driven and hence problem free run over a long period. Consider the weight of the machine and compare it with the box way m/c if rigidity is your concern.