586,116 active members*
3,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Need Help on Grinding Engraving Bits

Hello Everybody! I am new to this group and I am also a newbee to cnc machining. At present I am using a cnc machine to engrave dryseals. My problem is my bits are getting dull and I cant get the proper technique to sharpen my bits using the toolbit grinder since it did not come with any manual or instructions.Can anybody help me with this. Thank you

Can you post a picture of one the tools your actually using?

And what is a dryseal?

bits

Thanks donald. Ok will post pictures next time I log in. They are engraving "V" bits with angles from 30 degrees to 90 degrees. Thats what I use. They are like the shaft of drill bits with tapered ends and its ground flat in the middle which I think is the cutting edge then pointed in the end like a ballpoint pen... This is the best way I can describe it for now umtil I can post a picture. Thank you.

A dryseal is a stamp with a male and female die used to authenticate documents that are used by notary publics that produce a relief or emboss on the paper.

Thanks.

joel

Joel,
    What kind of tool grinder are you using?
    I'f I understand your description of the engraving tool bit correctly. You shouldn't face grind the flat part. Because it will push your cutting edge behind center. You need to grind the diameter of that V bit. Match the same angle ( from the tip to the widest part of the tool ). Setup your tool so that its horizontal to the grinding wheel. Once its horizontal, you need to adjust the tool so the flat face is horizontal also, Then raise that flat 5 - 7 degrees upward ( this will put the proper relief on the tool.
    I hope this isn't hard to follow. If so, let me know and I'll see if I can find pictures.

Don

Hi Donald,

Its not entirely clear what you are saying. I know it's difficult to describe such a thing in words. However I think your method may give the correct relief but will it not put the tip off the center line of the tool shaft. Photos would be great.

The engravers that I have have a kind of compound angle. The main part, for about 160 degrees around the circumference, is conical and concentric with the tool axis. The last 20 degrees then deviates from this but I haven't yet deduced how it is done. However if the tip is to remain concentric to the tool axis , which it must, then clearly the axis of rotation when sharpening must always pass through the tool tip.

Joel, You can not sharpen this bits free hand on a bench grinder. You need a proper tool grinder designed for that purpose. Many suppliers of engraving bits also offer a sharpening service.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Joel,
    What kind of tool grinder are you using?
    I'f I understand your description of the engraving tool bit correctly. You shouldn't face grind the flat part. Because it will push your cutting edge behind center. You need to grind the diameter of that V bit. Match the same angle ( from the tip to the widest part of the tool ). Setup your tool so that its horizontal to the grinding wheel. Once its horizontal, you need to adjust the tool so the flat face is horizontal also, Then raise that flat 5 - 7 degrees upward ( this will put the proper relief on the tool.
    I hope this isn't hard to follow. If so, let me know and I'll see if I can find pictures.

Don

No Pictures

I'm sorry Donald I can't upload any pictures but what you describe are the bits that I use. My cutter grinder is from china and looks like the tool & cutter grinders made by other companies that comes with a diamond wheel with a chuck to hold the tool and you can adjust the angle to grind the tool and rotate a knob to move the bit to the diamond wheel.

This is the best way I can describe it since I dont really know the technical words for them.

The pictures you mentioned would be great so I can understand better what you are describing.

Thank you.

joel

Cutter Grinder

Philbur, Thanks for the advice but I have the right grinder for the job but it did not come with the instructions on how I will sharpen the engraving cits that I have

The angles you mentioned for your bits sounds greek to me...I guess I have so much to learn.

What do you engrave?

joel

Probably you have one like this:

http://www.gti-usa.com/PDFs/Deckel/SO-SOE_Brochure.pdf

Search for Deckel SO operating manual

Let me know what you find.

must dash.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by metalikha joel View Post
    Philbur, Thanks for the advice but I have the right grinder for the job but it did not come with the instructions on how I will sharpen the engraving cits that I have

The angles you mentioned for your bits sounds greek to me...I guess I have so much to learn.

What do you engrave?

joel

Also take a look here

http://www.antaresinc.net/FactCutterGeometry.html

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Probably you have one like this:

http://www.gti-usa.com/PDFs/Deckel/SO-SOE_Brochure.pdf

Search for Deckel SO operating manual

Let me know what you find.

must dash.