586,121 active members*
3,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > PCNC1100 Power draw bar info needed.
Page 1 of 2 12

PCNC1100 Power draw bar info needed.

I am working on an air-less power drawbar because the air compressors drive me nuts.

Anyone know the the exact make and model of the springs used on the Tormach Power Draw bar kit.

There is also a threaded nut added to the top of the spindle, anyone know its dimensions and internal thread..

Also, I would love a copy of the installation documentation which is supplied with the Tormach power draw bar if anyone out there would be so kind and scan it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post

I am working on an air-less power drawbar because the air compressors drive me nuts.

Anyone know the the exact make and model of the springs used on the Tormach Power Draw bar kit.

There is also a threaded nut added to the top of the spindle, anyone know its dimensions and internal thread..

Also, I would love a copy of the installation documentation which is supplied with the Tormach power draw bar if anyone out there would be so kind and scan it for me.
    There is a man somewhere on this site who has a lever action draw bar and if I remember tight, you can buy the plans for around $250.00. I've seen it work and it's pretty cool.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Re: PCNC1100 Power draw bar info needed.

You might find the blog at Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3: Power Draw Bar Install Tormach P/N 31706 for PCNC 1100 Part 5 - Air lines useful

- - - Updated - - -

You might find the blog at http://tormachpcnc1100series3.blogspot.ca/2014/06/power-draw-bar-install-tormach-pn-31706_28.html useful

Is there a reason you can't measure the thread yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Is there a reason you can't measure the thread yourself?
    Well yeah, but It would mean to dismantle my PCNC 1100 mill a bit and trying to avoid that at least until I need to add the new draw bar mechanism, going off the spindle housing usual nut it is, M33 x 1.5 just wanted to clarify it.

More interested in the dimensions of the new larger one to evaluate if I actually need it in my design, not sure what is the purpose of it, I suspect it is to limit the actuator from pushing down too far..

I imagine the springs can be calculated too given that the required forces are known by the air actuator ability and the recommended torque used on the drawbar.

Thanks

Just hoping somebody can save me a ton of research.

I would remote the compressor to outside your shop. Electric will have a much much shorter lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I would remote the compressor to outside your shop. Electric will have a much much shorter lifespan.
    Thank you for your reply, I had thought about this option but still it is required to expel the air from the Actuator which would also require routing outside and still no easy place to put the compressor.

I am stuck really to using a mechanical method.

My goal is to have a pretty quiet workshop not sounding like a car tyers repair shop. Even looking at semi automated chip removal so the shop can be kept as clean as possible.

It would be a whole lot easier to just get a quiet air compressor. I have this one, and it's nice and quiet enough to talk over.
    Plus, compressed air is very useful around the shop.

California Air Tools - The Largest Manufacture of Ultra Quiet, Oil-Free & Lightweight Air Compressors - CAT-4610

Just get a copy of Scott Mulkerin's Lever Operated Drawbar plans. Tormach -approved mechanical drawbar.

SDM Fabricating Home

Here's the CNCZone thread about the manual drawbar

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...-software.html

and the site to buy the plans for $100

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/LOD.html

Anyone have problems with slip from the washers?

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    I don't think so. The guy did a torque test and came up with higher numbers than you get with the stock threaded drawbar. The info is somewhere there in his page.

Why not just contact Tormach and ask them to turn over all of their engineering for the PDB?

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Just get a copy of Scott Mulkerin's Lever Operated Drawbar plans. Tormach -approved mechanical drawbar.

SDM Fabricating Home
    That does look fantastic, and might in the end be the solution to go with but I am right handed and I thinking more of a push button electronic based system to work with an ATC design I am tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Nope. What I learned from that project was that I was way to tentative about yankin' down the manual drawbar! I put a torque wrench on it (duh!) and discovered that I'd been using about half the recommended torque. The LOD Belleville washer design fixed that. I am now free to make other, better, and more interesting mistakes....

That's the one Tormach sells as a GMC and yes they are quiet and parts are available from Cal Air. Mine lasted three years before it flat-lined. I replaced it with a near new 60 gallon made in USA which I bought from a friend for $100.00. It's loud but I only have to run it once every day or two.
    Entropy Sucks

Yeah I figured it would be nice except I use some r8 tooling with my machine so that would be no fun changing out.

Check out SDM Fabricating on YouTube. He has a lever action drawbar that's pretty cool. And he sells the plans for it.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    It would be a whole lot easier to just get a quiet air compressor. I have this one, and it's nice and quiet enough to talk over.
    Plus, compressed air is very useful around the shop.

California Air Tools - The Largest Manufacture of Ultra Quiet, Oil-Free & Lightweight Air Compressors - CAT-4610
    This exact compressor is on sale over at Home Depot for a little while longer. It's cheaper right now than I got it earlier this year when I had a major discount / coupon available. It's what I run and it's very quiet. For that price, you can buy two and if something wears out, replace a component. Their compressors are pretty simple.

California Air will also sell you a spare motor and I think that they have a rebuild kit available now.

Page 1 of 2 12