586,096 active members*
3,208 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Build MOANING!

Hi Guys, I've been working on a new build that's got a issue I haven't ran into before - it's moaning when running the steppers. Take a look;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RR8CkDjiOU

Here's the controller board I'm running;

4 Axis USB CNC Controller Interface Board Cncusb MK1 CNC 2 1 Substitute Mach3 US | eBay

Drivers;

CNC Single Axis TB6600 0 2 5A Two Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Driver Controlle SE | eBay

Steppers;

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...at-282-oz-in-2

The power supply is 24v 15A and the control software is USBCNC.

So far I've tried changing to all the microstep sequences and this is as good as it gets. Increasing feed-rates does help some, but it starts loosing steps too. Mechanically, the acme screws turn freely with the only drag being from the zero backlash nuts.

I have some 5 start 1/2" acme screws I'd like to put on this but until I can make it past this hump, I'm hesitant to change anything that would result in higher load on the machine.

I'm willing to try anything. I also have a number of other control boards, steppers and stepper drivers on hand that I can switch to if anyone thinks that is the problem.

Thanks,
    Larry

Re: New Build MOANING!

Is it one axis or all axises?

If it is one then you have something setup wrong on that axis. If it is all the axis then you obviously have a common issue across the system. If you have an electrically different driver you can try switching that in on an axis to isolate the issue a bit.

Depending on the vintage and supplier, the TB6600 drives leave a lot to be desired.

I haven't seen this problem myself but if the driver is determined to not be the problem then the next possibility is the the controller board isn't outputting pulses the drivers like. In any event that is just a guess, i'd start swapping what you can to zero in on the problem. You can also hope that somebody on the forum has experienced this issue.

It's all three. In the video it's making a 3" circle with the z axis moving up and down 1".

It's called harmonics all steppers have them at certain speeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kcmkOaBguA

I certainly agree that steppers do generate harmonics, but this is at all speeds except if I move one stepper at a time at the fastest rate possible. At any normal cutting rate the sound in the video is what you get. I've got two other machines sitting within 10 feet of this one and neither of those sound like this one. (They are different designs of a cnc router, but generally the same hardware) I'm also running this router from the same computer as my other two machines.

Fixtureman1 - Sorry I didn't get your vid. they are blocked on my phone. Now I'm home and could see it. Thank you and I'm wishing you a Merry Christmas! And thanks for your musical addition to my somewhat frustrating day.

Aside from that, my friend, I know they can make the sounds I hear in your video, but the sounds coming out of mine are a hundred times more loud and grating. Truly, I'd love for it to sound like yours.

That "moaning" is due to the incredibly low acceleration settings.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mine make very harsh noises when doing circles or angles at low speeds

All of that metal is amplifying all of the resonance.

Don

The sound is DEFINITELY not normal, but I can't tell you what may be the cause of it. You need to do a deeper analysis to identify the issue. I definitely agree with you regarding the upgrade, fix the issue first is more important.

So, this is how I would start with the analysis.

1. Check all the screws and everything for any lose items. I had a very strange vibration issue which I could not identify for a long time, I thought I checked everything and could find nothing. The vibration could start seemingly random and go on forever. It drove me nuts, not just the sound, but also the fact that I could not identify the source or locate the area... but one day I realized that what I did not check was the limit switches. Voila, that was it. On one of the limit switches the metal flag (I don't know what it is called, that thing which is pushed by the machine and which pushes the actual button) could start vibrating at very high frequency so it was difficult to see, but when I put a piece of tape on it, it stopped.

2. Can you easily turn each axis with the power off? Try all the way, from one end to the other.

3. Now try with the stepper, one axis at a time. Straight motion from one end to the other and back, several times.

4. If all axes are OK in single, try two and then all three, but only straight motion, no circles.

5. If one axis is whining swap the connections so that for instance if X is moaning swap all the stepper wires with Y and run the same test to see if that solves it or is still moaning. If it is fixing the issues then most probably your X driver is faulty

Good luck.

Anyway, I don't know that controller, it may be the cause of the issue as well.

I would drop each stepper and run the file and see if they still make the noise

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    That "moaning" is due to the incredibly low acceleration settings.
    Yup. Sounds normal to me for low feed rate, metal machine resonance, and circle interpolation. A CNC can really sing under the right conditions but shouldn't be mistaken that something is necessarily wrong.

There isa bit of controversy here about how normal this is. I'm not going to get into that but rather consider that the machine can't run at higher speeds if I understand you right.

Instead of running three axis I'm going to suggest that you run just one axis at different feed rates and accelerations. Slew the entire length of the available travel. We should hear a significant change in the noise coming from the steepers. Also I want to know what your max feed rate is before you have an axis failure.