586,080 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese Router Spindle - Quick Change Chuck

Chinese Router Spindle - Quick Change Chuck

Is there a method to create or add to a Spindle a faster Tool replacement? I have 2 Bits that I use on each job, a Straight cutter and then a Round Over bit. After cutting the Shape I would like to swap bits and run the program again giving all edges a round over. Almost like if I had 2 Separate Chucks, 1 with the cutting bit, the other with a round over bit. To swap tools, loosen the Spindle nut and change cutter ( and chuck ) these could be set up correctly to give the right depth needed

Re: Chinese Router Spindle - Quick Change Chuck

Nope.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

^^ this.

If you have $3k handy, there are auto tool changer spindles available. There are (search time!) one or two designs for add-ons here somewhere. There used to be an ATC attachment available that screwed in but no more, apparently they were woeful for runout and failures and they still cost more than the spindle in the first place.

Attachment 300346
    This is why I thought there was available

Totally ( Possibly ) Stupid Question .... is this one? Or is this what gets Jammed up into the Spindle itself never to come out again?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151208_083511000_iOS.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	300348

Quote Originally Posted by KenR60 View Post
    Attachment 300346
    This is why I thought there was available
    Yes, basically you replace the spindle with an ATC spindle and just don't set up a tool rack. Then it is a 'quick change' spindle. Or if you have the time space and ability you can add a second router or spindle on a second z axis. If the machine was not designed for it though, it will remove some of the side to side machinable area on the gantry travel. Contemplating all those changes and suddenly the price for an ATC seems more reasonable.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Quote Originally Posted by KenR60 View Post
    Totally ( Possibly ) Stupid Question .... is this one? Or is this what gets Jammed up into the Spindle itself never to come out again?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151208_083511000_iOS.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	300348
    No such thing as a stupid question. This guy is an ER collet adapter for the Morse Taper spindle commonly found on cheaper milling machines (like the X2 and X3 etc), and in the head and tail stocks of many lathes. IF you had a morse taper spindle you'd just buy two of these and switch them, but even then you have to unscrew and re-screw the drawbar that holds it in place so there's just as much spanner swinging to deal with unfortunately.

The ATC spindle you show - yes, that's the kind of thing that'd sort you out. However, match the power to the spindle you have (and type - DC or 3 phase?) and factor in the cost of the tool holders, you're up into multiple thousands of dollars for anything with some grunt. And they're still the el-cheapo Chinese spindles so count on having to replace it as the bearings etc flog out over time. If the time saved on manual tool changes is worth those bucks, go for it - and let us know how you get on!

If you're only making one tool-change, what about getting two of those cheap spindles and mounting them back-to-back on a powered pivot, so that when one is done cutting the whole thing rotates 180 degrees and the other one starts? I've seen something like that before, and it certainly seems cheaper and simpler than trying to build an ATC.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Or just get a second z and mount side by side

with atc you need feedback on drives.. means hybrid drive, what is closed loop stepper, or servo...
    while it works virtually with stepper, however for safety need the feedback..

theres a substitution for your problem..

I saw somewhere, the straight bit was combined with a roundover bit..

when you cut trough , the rounding also was made...

one example...

Whiteside Round Over and Edge Trim Router Bits