586,089 active members*
3,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Need some advice

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum but wondered if anyone could advise me regarding an Incimar MC1000 engraver. I am considering buying a business and there is an option to purchase this engraver. It is not necessary for the core business but could be valuable in expanding the business in other directions. I have not a great deal of experience in stone engravers, I know this machine is a few years old and in its time the best of best. It is in extremely good condition but I am wondering if this would be a good purchase, or can anyone suggest a modern alternative for engraving stone and if possible an idea of cost. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Re: Need some advice

This seems to be a manual pantograph for stone engraving: Manual engraving machine Incimar MC1000 - Used machines for marble and granite

I don't know much about them specifically, but in general they're pretty simple to operate. You have letter templates that you push a stylus around, and the motion is directly communicated through the mechanism to a cutting head. This is the old way of doing things; most of us have graduated to computer-controlled machines, which are a lot more versatile (and easier on the shoulders). Here's the new model, on the Incimar site: MG 2.0 - INCIMAR
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I'd pass if it is an option based on what awerby said. Manual machines are OK for some things, but custom engraving on stone is likely not one of them. Every custom element would need a trace template (I assume - I did not look at the link) which is impractical and I am sure that's why it wasn't used much.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

For straightforward lettering a pantograph can infact be quicker than cnc as no programming involved, you can buy alphabet templates off eBay for them so for house names/numbers they are ideal. If it's cheap go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon.N.CNC View Post
    For straightforward lettering a pantograph can infact be quicker than cnc as no programming involved, you can buy alphabet templates off eBay for them so for house names/numbers they are ideal. If it's cheap go for it.
    I hear what you are saying, but I personally wouldn't consider it. A table saw beats a cnc for cutting, but a router with a template rarely beats the CNC for anything - because you can usually leave the CNC and do something else.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

It depends on how slow the stone cuts.... Have a feeling that the answer is "slow", which does limit the pluses of the pantograph....still nice and simple though.