586,060 active members*
3,892 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Master jaws for soft jaws (B2227L lathe)

Master jaws for soft jaws (B2227L lathe)

Hey guys, I've got a craftex B2227L which has a 5" 3 jaw chuck. I was wondering if anyone knew were I could get some master jaws so I could make some soft jaws for this little guy? I was debating modifying my spare set of hard jaws to accept some soft jaws but if I could buy some for cheap that would obviously be easier.

Thanks.

Re: Master jaws for soft jaws (B2227L lathe)

I really think that you will have a very hard time modifying a set of hardened chuck jaws...you will definitely spend a long time doing it too. In your case I would be much more inclined to buy a new chuck - not as expensive as you think.
    5" 3 jaw Self Centering Scroll Lathe Chucks 3 Piece Jaws - Lathe Chucks - Toolholding & Workholding - Products @ $135 US how many hours are you willing to fight with the hardnend jaws? I know its not the cheapest route but has the highest chance of getting what you want...
    You may even find cheaper if you look...

Mike

Re: Master jaws for soft jaws (B2227L lathe)

Thanks Mike,
    I came across that chuck the other week, I wish our dollar wasn't so bad because it comes out to $280.00cad shipped, plus what ever duties I get dinged with along the way. However like you said, it might be worth the money vs the struggle I am in for modifying these jaws. I'll keep hunting around and see what comes up.