586,113 active members*
3,209 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > I need to modify a nurbs spline surface MC9

I need to modify a nurbs spline surface MC9

I'm working with drawings with surfaces brought in from another business. I have a 3d model imported into mc9 that has holes and counter bores in the middle of a nurbs spline surface (airplane wing type shape). When I generate a program it treats the edges of these holes/c-bores as an edge of that particular pass instead of just continuing on across the hole in a smooth pass. I have several little volcanoes in the middle of the surface I'm trying to cut.
    How can I modify the surface in MC9 to eliminate these holes/c-bores so that my program passes are smooth across the entire path instead of broken at the edges of these holes?

I've been working with various versions of MC for almost 25 years but I don't have a lot of experience with full 3D in MC and almost none working with surfaces. Most of my 3D programming is just linear straight along a wire surface with no hills and valleys in the surface, no shapes.

Thx

JohnF

Re: I need to modify a nurbs spline surface MC9

Can you show us the model or a screenshot?

I am not familiar with MC specifically, but work with programs for various disciplines all day. If your original 3d model has a hole in the surface, the ( any ) CAM program should just be following what it is presented with.

Not knowing the details, I would suggest downloading a demo copy of Rhino, import your file and patch the holes using the patch command. use the continuity option offered within the command to retain the curves of the surrounding surfaces. You.You will get 25 saves with the demo version and Rhino can output to most formats.

Good luck with it, Phill Pittman
    index

I am stuck on X6 but I am sure what I am about to describe will work with X9.

Select CREATE SURFACE - FILL HOLES

Once you select this option you will be asked to select the surface or solid you want to work with. Hit Enter. You will then be asked to select the edge of the feature you want to fill.

This work in most cases but there is always one out there that will five you problems.

Rob

zzhyzyg Guest

hi, my friend , who need
    surfcam 2015
    gibbscam 2015
    mastercam x9

I have a lot of cracked software , I sell it
    I have email :[email protected] [email protected]

hi, my friend , who need
    surfcam 2015
    gibbscam 2015
    mastercam x9
    ArtCam Pro
    EdgeCam
    Hypermill
    PowerMILL
    Surfcam
    UG NX

I have a lot of cracked software , I sell it
    I have email :[email protected]

When dealing with a complex surface. its sometimes better to isolate the areas you want to machine. what I do is to copy the surface to another level. always keeping the original intact for reference.
    I then create curves all surfaces. use the delete duplicate tool.

I project up to a plane a boundary. untrim problem surfaces. you can now use the 3d boundary curves or projected cures and trim back one clean surface.

I do use the fill holes option on planer surfaces. But on complex surfaces you can sometimes not get the results you hope for.

good luck

Gord

you are only working with surfaces ?

Creating surfaces - Fill holes .... create an additional surface that needs to be selected for the surfacing op

try...... Trim Surfaces - Remove boundary....... select the surface, slide the arrow near to the hole, ( it will ask to do all holes Y or N answer required)
    this will change that surface & not create other surfaces

Suggest to copy all original surface to another level before modifying your working level...... just in case you need to refer to the original later