586,103 active members*
3,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > SmoothStepper Motion Control > Ethernet Smoothstepper killing me
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Ethernet Smoothstepper killing me

200 dollar paper weight if you ask me.

Could it be a grounding Issue? I have the smoothstepper bolted to a piece of wood along with the rest of the components I did this for testing.

Yes, it could be a grounding issue.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Did you try a different Ethernet cable? Do you have more than one Ethernet adapter in the computer, are you using the right one. One suggestion is to remove the computer from the network, and plug the ESS directly into the CNC computer using a patch cable with the null modem wire arrangement. This means that transmit and receive are reversed they sell these at most computer stores. If you are seeing the ESS when you go into config this is probably not the issue, because it does send a message to the ESS when it talks and it shows when you go to configure MACH3. The LED blinks you reported sounds correct. You might want to try this test to ensure that nothing on the network is causing issues.

Russ

I will try grounding it this morning, The cable im using to connect the ss came with my rogers modem, It says PATCH cable on the side Ive just replaced it with a brand new one. My computer has a built in ethernet port on the back ( its a desktop) I have the drivers installed for it as well. I connect to the internet on this computer with a pci wifi card so it shouldnt be conflicting with the built in LAN port.

I Just tried it with a new cable and disabling the wifi card, still the same issue.

Nothing is working, I just grounded it, tried new cable, new install of mach, new install of windows. still mach freezes when I leave the ports and pins config.

What version of Mach3? Have you tried a different version?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mach3 Version 3.043.062 as recommended on the cncrouterparts website, I can try the latest version right now and get back to you in a minute.

installed Mach3 Version 3.043.066. and plugin for ss, still the same issue.

Mach3Version3.042.020 is the oldest one I could find and it did not freeze up after exiting the menu. looks like im on to something but dont go away just yet knowing my luck.

YAY!!!! i got it to work! if only I had of tried the older version sooner.

THANKS alot for the help everyone I really appreciate it, I will probably be starting another thread for motor tuning so you haven`t seen the last of me.

Did you try 3.043.062? That's the current recommended version for use with the ESS, I think.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

yea that is the version I could not get going, now im on 3.042.020 and am able to get the motor to turn but its SOOOOO slow I think it should be faster, it moves about 4 RPM and doesnt change when I mess around with the motor velocity and acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogathon View Post
    yea that is the version I could not get going, now im on 3.042.020 and am able to get the motor to turn but its SOOOOO slow I think it should be faster, it moves about 4 RPM and doesnt change when I mess around with the motor velocity and acceleration.
    Your steps/per may not be set correct

I have all the versions of Mach3 and they all work with the SmoothStepper, most likely something happened on the install, would not be the first time

3.043.062 is the recommended software for the ESS, something wrong with the install or computer, if it is not working
    Mactec54

any idea where I should start? I thought I was good with electronics but I think its just the buying parts part.

Changing the values does NOTHING so im at a loss yet again.

well I feel stupid, I had been changing the x axis (which is not hooked up) and watching the Z axis waiting for changes to happen. SMH. lol

Quote Originally Posted by scrogathon View Post
    any idea where I should start? I thought I was good with electronics but I think its just the buying parts part.

Changing the values does NOTHING so im at a loss yet again.
    There are many thing that could be at play as far as the speed goes, I guess you have set up using Metric in Mach3, then try your steps/per at 200 or 400 if you are using Metric in motor Tuning
    Look in
    ConFig
    Select Native Units
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach3 Units.PNG  
    Mactec54

sorry I did get it to move and I can get it to spin very fast, I think I now have it figured out at least the part where I test the steppers, I need to go put them onto the machine and hopefully I get it going with not many issues.

The machine I built is a crp4848 with extrusion base and has been collecting dust for 3 years, im a happy camper now.

Did anyone ever figure out what was going on here? I too have tried version .62 as recommended and .66. Both Versions cause Mach3 to lock up when attempting to modify ports and pins. Works fine with the crappy USB BOB that I have. But if I use the ethernet smoothstepper it becomes unstable.

***SOLVED*** for those that are currently experiencing the same problem as mentioned here I've found the solution. Its actually REALLY simple. When you first install mach3 and/or Ethernet SS you get the error (Emergency Stop not assigned). If you go into (ports and pins) and attempt to change any setting prior to first setting the emergency stop it will lock Mach3 up. Assign the emergency stop in ports and pins, and then click apply, then OK and restart mach3 so the settings are wrote to XML. Once restarted you can then make the appropriate changes needed in ports and pins without it locking up. It's seems that this may be some sort of bug that it you attempt to change any setting prior to assigning the emergency stop once you close ports and pins, mach3 throws a fit trying to recover from not having the emergency stop assigned yet. I've successfully managed to get 062 working using this.

Page 2 of 3 123