586,080 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Positive head on the chiller? Why Not?

Hi this is my first post as I only got my first Laser 2 months ago.

I'm already upgrading and sorting out my workspace ready for my new bigger 130w machine. Whenever I see anyone else's set up in videos and photos I always see the chiller on the floor. Why is this? I know a little about tanks and pumps and it seems to me that you would never get air bubbles in the tube if the chiller reservoir was higher than the laser tube's pipes. I know that if there was a leak in the pipes the tank would empty into the machine which would obviously be pretty bad but also pretty unlikely.Is this the reason people don't? I'd say it's far more likely that you would do damage by unknowingly leaving air in the tube while firing. Having the chiller raised would also make life easier on the chiller pump so it would last longer theoretically.

It's probably just a newbie observation which is very wrong so thought I'd ask the experts before I go ahead and potentially damage my new machine.

Thanks

Patrick

Re: Positive head on the chiller? Why Not?

Quote Originally Posted by fixdreamer View Post
    Hi this is my first post as I only got my first Laser 2 months ago.

I'm already upgrading and sorting out my workspace ready for my new bigger 130w machine. Whenever I see anyone else's set up in videos and photos I always see the chiller on the floor. Why is this? I know a little about tanks and pumps and it seems to me that you would never get air bubbles in the tube if the chiller reservoir was higher than the laser tube's pipes. I know that if there was a leak in the pipes the tank would empty into the machine which would obviously be pretty bad but also pretty unlikely.Is this the reason people don't? I'd say it's far more likely that you would do damage by unknowingly leaving air in the tube while firing. Having the chiller raised would also make life easier on the chiller pump so it would last longer theoretically.

It's probably just a newbie observation which is very wrong so thought I'd ask the experts before I go ahead and potentially damage my new machine.

Thanks

Patrick
    Yes, it is jus just a newbie observation.
    You do not need to keep chiller higher because air bubbles will go to chiller even if it is on the floor.
    It is only need to have water output from laser tube in high position. Water current will do the rest.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service