587,072 active members*
2,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

New machine day

Hey y'all, kinda disappointed. I was installing the feet on the new stand and the threads were so poor I was debating whether or not to make new ones. I hope I don't have the same poor quality with the machine when I open it tomorrow.
    Cheers

Re: New machine day

I own quite a few Chinese and Taiwanese machines... and my Tormach 1100 hands-down is better than the best Taiwan machine I own.

Consider the function of the foot and whether it should really get a lot of love and attention.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I own quite a few Chinese and Taiwanese machines... and my Tormach 1100 hands-down is better than the best Taiwan machine I own.

Consider the function of the foot and whether it should really get a lot of love and attention.
    I hope you are right, all my research point to the best product time will tell
    Cheers

New machine day

Are the threads really that bad or are they just clogged with paint?

Quote Originally Posted by lens42 View Post
    Are the threads really that bad or are they just clogged with paint?
    Threads on all feet parts are unbelievably bad it scares me as to the quality of the machine itself.
    Cheers
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

I received an 1100 this fall, the feet looked crappy. I greased them, then threaded and unthreaded them several times to smooth up the threads. The cast iron they were made from was pretty porous, but worked ok.
    The machine much better.
    The software bewildering.

Don't forget to put some lithium grease on those threads. Makes final leveling and adjustment years later easy . Also I cut some foam weather strip squares 1/2x1/2 and stuck to top and bottom of base cabinet door jambs. Adjusted the doors to latch and good to go with no door rattles. Take your time on machine setup and be careful with all the lube lines also. As for construction quality of machine I found my Tormach to be acceptable, as tmarks mentions above when compared to other tools made in the region its a few bins above. For use and reliability the tool has been awesome. I had a problem with mach and rapid axis lock up when I first started using it. Fixed the problem with a good power up and down procedure at start and end of day and its been years now with no problems at all. I do take extremely good care by cleaning and lubricating surfaces weekly and adjust gibs, lube system check, pdb clean and anti-seize about 6 months. Mostly some notes to think about when your doing your setup. and a final note. My machine has improved with age, imho the more I use it the better it performs

The chinese machines in my case have run for years after correcting a few minor things, like replacing screws, retapping holes, tightening electrical connections etc., once this is done they seem to run well for years.
    I have a 9x12 bandsaw and a 12 x 37 lathe that I have had over 30 years and they are still running today and were used in my business, not just hobby use.

They are improving though, its just going to take a few more years.
    mike sr

They are improving, just takes time, as Mike said. They already make some very fine machines, just not at the price point we like. Lol

It all goes around, when I was a kid, if it said "made in Japan" you knew it was junk, now not so much. As the Chinese stuff improves, it's price will go up, just like Japan's, then there will be some other country with the cheap stuff and the cycle will repeat.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    They are improving, just takes time, as Mike said. They already make some very fine machines, just not at the price point we like. Lol

It all goes around, when I was a kid, if it said "made in Japan" you knew it was junk, now not so much. As the Chinese stuff improves, it's price will go up, just like Japan's, then there will be some other country with the cheap stuff and the cycle will repeat.
    Terry
    LOL.......if you keep chasing the cheap stuff from country to country while they're evolving, eventually all your stuff will be just cheap, and the quality stuff that they learn to make with your money will be too expensive for you anyway.

Going by a brand name also doesn't solve your problem, because you will automatically buy the cheapest that the brand sells, and that is a cheap import anyway.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post

Terry
    As Douglas Mc Carthur said after WWII, " We would like to help these people but they dont make anything that we can use" that was the era of the toys made from GI beer cans with the labels still visible on some of them on the inside, sure has changed over the years.................
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by oneineight View Post
    I received an 1100 this fall, the feet looked crappy. I greased them, then threaded and unthreaded them several times to smooth up the threads. The cast iron they were made from was pretty porous, but worked ok.
    The machine much better.
    The software bewildering.
    Anti-seize on threads where needed and red thread locker on poor threads. Please tell me about the software?
    Michael

You could inquire with Tormach about the quality of the feet. They may replace them for you if your really not happy. As for quality of the machines, I believe Tormach are best in their class and I wouldn't let the feet influence your impression of the rest of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cmparts View Post
    Anti-seize on threads where needed and red thread locker on poor threads. Please tell me about the software?
    Michael
    The software problem is mostly within my skull.
    Sixteen months ago I was unable to make, save, or find a file, I took a year of CNC machine tech class working with Haas and Gibbscam.
    Then went out and bought a PCNC 1100, ironcad and Sprutcam.
    Have made a few things with pathpilot conversational.
    Still not yet smart enough to generate code with the Sprut.

Still not yet smart enough to generate code with the Sprut.
    Take a look at HSMXpress. It is free 2.5D CAM software that I find very intuitive. What CAD are you using?
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Another vote for HSMxpess or Fusion 360 if you need the CAD too.

THREAD HIJACK NOW IN PROGESS
    I looked at fusion 360, even downloaded it.
    But did not want to be reliant on something that could be taken away with no notice, or suddenly find must be paid for.

If it sounds to good to be true then a good bit of caution is called for. Autodesk is making an investment with fusion 360. Can't think of any good reason to make such an investment unless they expect a nice payback.

About the time 100,001 dollars in sales a year is achieved, My desires would be larger work space, faster machines, employees.
    Having Autodesk sucking the life blood of my endeavors has little appeal.
    So I chose to buy Iron Cad.
    I can make drawings with Iron Cad.
    Still have not put in enough time to generate a program with Sprut Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Don't forget to put some lithium grease on those threads. Makes final leveling and adjustment years later easy . Also I cut some foam weather strip squares 1/2x1/2 and stuck to top and bottom of base cabinet door jambs. Adjusted the doors to latch and good to go with no door rattles. Take your time on machine setup and be careful with all the lube lines also. As for construction quality of machine I found my Tormach to be acceptable, as tmarks mentions above when compared to other tools made in the region its a few bins above. For use and reliability the tool has been awesome. I had a problem with mach and rapid axis lock up when I first started using it. Fixed the problem with a good power up and down procedure at start and end of day and its been years now with no problems at all. I do take extremely good care by cleaning and lubricating surfaces weekly and adjust gibs, lube system check, pdb clean and anti-seize about 6 months. Mostly some notes to think about when your doing your setup. and a final note. My machine has improved with age, imho the more I use it the better it performs
    I thank you for the info, I do look forward to getting it on the stand next week.
    Cheers
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmax View Post
    You could inquire with Tormach about the quality of the feet. They may replace them for you if your really not happy. As for quality of the machines, I believe Tormach are best in their class and I wouldn't let the feet influence your impression of the rest of the machine.
    I think the feet will be ok, just a little worried about quality. Most here like their machines and I hope I will as well.
    Cheers
    Michael

THREAD HIJACK NOW IN PROGESS
    I looked at fusion 360, even downloaded it.
    But did not want to be reliant on something that could be taken away with no notice, or suddenly find must be paid for.

If it sounds to good to be true then a good bit of caution is called for. Autodesk is making an investment with fusion 360. Can't think of any good reason to make such an investment unless they expect a nice payback.

About the time 100,001 dollars in sales a year is achieved, My desires would be larger work space, faster machines, employees.
    Having Autodesk sucking the life blood of my endeavors has little appeal.
    So I chose to buy Iron Cad.
    I can make drawings with Iron Cad.
    Still have not put in enough time to generate a program with Sprut Cam.
    Hijack away, they use inventor at work and I will have to go autodesk.
    Cheers
    Michael

Page 1 of 3 123