586,103 active members*
3,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > Advice for cutting monogram out of aluminum sheet?

Question Advice for cutting monogram out of aluminum sheet?

Hello CNCZ'ers,

I'm new here, and new to CNC in general. I don't feel like I belong on this forum with all of you talking in jargon that I don't yet understand, but I seek advice from the experts (or anyone who knows more than me), so if you are willing, I would be forever thankful for the help.

OBJECTIVES

1) Cut monogram out of 1/8" aluminum sheet.
    2) Bevel edges of monogram at 45 degrees.

EQUIPMENT

Next Wave Automation Piranha FX with touch plate. Software: VCarve desktop.
    Amana Tool 8-pc Set No. AMS-134

PROBLEM

I don't really know where to start. I've done a considerable amount of research and am prepared to do more, but I was hoping to get a little guidance from the experts as far as the general direction I should be headed here.

We sell custom display axes with an 1/8" aluminum inlay 1/16" recessed into the hickory handle. So far, I have hand cut 33 monograms out of 1/8" aluminum with a band saw. Then I hand file the edges smooth, then add a 45 degree bevel with a file, but as you can imagine this takes a considerable amount of time with less than ideal results. I purchased this Piranha FX router CNC machine in hopes of making this project more efficient.

As you can see from the photos, the monogram emblem is bent; however, I plan to continue doing this step by hand. I'm only looking to cut and bevel the monograms out of a sheet of aluminum.

QUESTIONS (Here I'm going to show just how little I know)

1) Do I need to place MDF under the aluminum sheet or is it precise enough to where I don't need to worry about it making contact with the table?
    2) Which bit or bits should I use? (hopefully one of the bits in the Amana 134 set will do the trick)
    3) Which grade of aluminum is ideal?
    4) I have a 2D vector of the monogram, but will it be necessary to replicate it in a 3D program for the beveled edge or can I accomplish this with VCarve Desktop?

Thank you in advance!
    -Jay

Re: Advice for cutting monogram out of aluminum sheet?

1) Yes, you want to have an MDF spoilboard, unless you want to cut up your table.

2) An Amana 51470 would be ideal, but I'd be willing to bet that you'd break a few before you got the hang of what you're doing.

3) Usually, the harder it is, the easier it is to cut, as it won't be so prone to sticking to the bit.

4) No, the 2D vector is fine.

To cut out the letters, do a profile cut outside the vector, and use tabs to hold the letters in place.
    For the bevel, I'd use the same vector, offset outwards a little so the tip of the bevel bit is not doing any cutting.

You might have a decent size learning curve ahead of you here. Start practicing, and find out what works best for you.

Here's a source for much cheaper bits than Amana.
    1 16" 0625" Carbide 2 Flute Micro Endmills AlTiN Coated 1610 0625L188 | eBay
    Those letters look pretty small, so you'll want some small bits to minimize handwork.

Be aware that the these small bits are very fragile.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Gerry, really appreciate the recommendations. I ordered a half dozen of the 1/16" 2-flutes from eBay and will order the Amana 51470 after I'm a little farther down the learning curve.

Thanks for the suggestion on cutting an outside offset, I think that will work perfectly for most of it and hopefully the inside corners will come out somewhat sharp.

For the 2nd part of the project I'm going to be cutting out the inlay from the hickory handle.

1) How do I tell the CNC what the shape of the material is if it's contoured like this? Or do I just set it for the highest point and let it work its way down even if it might be making some passes without contacting the material?
    2) Which bit would you recommend for cutting hickory with these sharp inside corners?

Attachment 301504
    Attachment 301506
    Attachment 301508
    Attachment 301510

look at for the rowmark materials
    they have one brushed alu... it is not aluminum, its a type of plastic with a very thin layer of aluminum..

the problem with your project, that it require very small dia tool for the outline, due to sharp inner corners..
    for the corners, if you cut on router.. need 1 mm dia tool..

if you need a lot, you might check on local shop that have wire edm... I think this size could be somewhere 1-1.5 min to cut the two shape... so in a luckily case they might cut it you for 2 dollar per pair..

1) Yes, just start at the highest point

2) You can use the same 1/16" tools you just bought
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Perfect, thanks Gerry.

victorofga,
    The brushed Rowmark material would work well except the beveled edge won't look quite right. Agree that the sharp inner corners are going to be difficult to achieve with what I have, but I'm prepared to hand file the inside corners if necessary, it should be quick work if the CNC router can take care of the rest. Thanks for the suggestions.