586,111 active members*
3,513 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Tool holder dimension parameters?

Tool holder dimension parameters?

Are the parameters for tool holder dimensions described anywhere?

I can't find any info on them in the SprutCAM 4 manual anywhere but maybe I'm using teh wrong search terms.

Mike

I couldn't find anything in the manual, but figured it out through trial and error (lots of error ). Basically you define the diameter of the lowest part of your tool holder, follow this with a semi-colon, then the height of this particular diameter, then another semi-colon, then the next diameter and it's height.

Here is the string for the Tormach Tooling System (TTS) tool holder that I use...

0.87;0;1.26;0.44;1.26;0.73;1.5;0;1.5;0.38 (units in inches)

What I can't figure out is how to save this information somewhere? I have to re-enter it for every tool. You can't even copy and paste it.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Are the parameters for tool holder dimensions described anywhere?

I can't find any info on them in the SprutCAM 4 manual anywhere but maybe I'm using teh wrong search terms.

Mike

Hi Andrew, sorry, I hadn't realised that Mike had cross posted this topic on here too, I had already responded here: http://forums.sprutcam.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=146

What you can do is to copy and paste the holder dimensions to/from an external text file.
    To do this, once you have entered all of the dimensions, select them (left click and drag) then right click and from the menu select 'Copy', then create a new text file (Start - Run - Notepad) and paste into this, save the text file under an appropriate name for future use.

HTH

Dave

Thanks Dave, your fix worked well, still a bit of a pain but quicker than typing it in every time. Is there a forum for suggesting software fixes to Sprutcam?

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by S4 Monster View Post
    Hi Andrew, sorry, I hadn't realised that Mike had cross posted this topic on here too, I had already responded here: http://forums.sprutcam.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=146

What you can do is to copy and paste the holder dimensions to/from an external text file.
    To do this, once you have entered all of the dimensions, select them (left click and drag) then right click and from the menu select 'Copy', then create a new text file (Start - Run - Notepad) and paste into this, save the text file under an appropriate name for future use.

HTH

Dave

And then Sprutcam asumes the lowest diameter lies immediately above the length entered for the tool in the tool parameter menu, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mayhugh1 View Post
    And then Sprutcam asumes the lowest diameter lies immediately above the length entered for the tool in the tool parameter menu, right?
    The toolholder dimensions start from the 'top' of the tool (length)....

Quote Originally Posted by MAX711 View Post
    Thanks Dave, your fix worked well, still a bit of a pain but quicker than typing it in every time. Is there a forum for suggesting software fixes to Sprutcam?

Andrew
    There is a 'New features' section on the main SprutCAM forum, but whether the software guys check this very often I don't know.........probably best to contact them direct...........run SprutCAM, select 'Help' - 'Contact with Sprut Technology Inc'.
    If you are wanting the Toolholder to be included in the database, then I have already asked for this...........but do still send your request as they base their new feature work on how many requests they get