586,123 active members*
3,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Sprutcam 10 simulation not working

Sprutcam 10 simulation not working

I just received the Tormach version of Sprutcam 10. I installed it and tried a simple face mill and then separately a 2d contour operation. However, when I tried to do the normal simulation, it just hourglasses and does nothing until I get the message the program has stopped responding. I turned off the various buttons like gouge detection but got the same thing.

I did appear to post a good code, but I did not run it on the machine. Also, the fast simulation of the operation does show the expected result.

Other observations... The rapid feed was 500 and showed in read in the simulation tab detail. I changed it to 100. There are a few other lines that also show in red.

Does anyone have an idea on what I should check, or a setting to check to get it to work? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Sprutcam 10 simulation not working

Hard to say!
    Make sure your running with administrator rights.
    I found after install it was a bit quirky. I rebooted system and it has worked much better.
    Also copied my tool libraries into v10 directories.
    If loading a sprut 8 file,for best results I opened the parameters window on most the operations then clicked ok button . This seams to reset and better or re populate the data structure for each operation and they tend to compile correctly. I found this worked well moving from sprut 8 to 9 with most the problems being in 2d operations.
    Oh and save new v10 file in a new directory and retain old files for backup if needed.
    Last note it displays an error about the scupdater program and that it crashed. do others have this problem?

I am running with admin rights. I tried loading a previous project, from version 7, and it did simulate. Hmmm. I also went back and reimported the iges file and sewed it, and it would not run in simulation... Just hourglassed. So, I went to Geomagic and exported a new iges file, imported, sewed it, and tried a face mill from the default tool list. Same thing.

I have checked the coordinate system on the old SC file that works in SC10 vs a new import of a model, and a bunch of other parameters but still have the same problem.

Maybe the sewing or importing is causing a problem or not working correctly.

In the simulator window are a couple buttons and one is machine collision detection . I have to turn this off or I get errors on all operations. I notified Tormach and they are looking at it.
    This does not fix your problem tho!
    Are you using voxel 5d setting for display in simulator?

I had tried turning off the collision/gouge detection. I was able to replicate the problem by importing various file formats- iges, step, stl. Called and sent files to Tormach. Got message the file would not load on there end. Hmmm.

I was abl to get SC version 7 projects to load and simulate properly. I was eventually able to get a current project to work, but do not know why. Tormach and Srutcam are looking at it.

But, that isn't all the issues I was finding. Some basic stuff is not working properly. Job assignments can only be moved by dragging with the mouse on the ntrance side. It was not working for me on the exit side. I was also not able to change the machining direction by clicking the arrow. It is not selectable. Those were both very disappointing as they are so basic. I checked the manual for the method and was doing as it showed. I thought it might be operator error, but it does not appear so.

For what works, I definitely like it. I was used to the entrance nd retract setup of SC7, and wish that was still available even if the new method is to drag with the mouse.

Jacob @sprut cam pointed me in direction to fix my collision problem. I had fixtures enable at machine root and they were problem, only display fixtures when using in operation fixed it. Simple fix and it was default the other way before.

Machining direction and things like tool path edit you need to select the operation and then select the job assignment tab below then editing is active. Then when you move cursor over the circle or diamonds on the tool path ends they highlight and you can drag around as desired. Figuring out where to click to give the program correct focus is hard to explain but required skill in sprut. Just selecting the operation the tab below could be on fixtures or feeds and speeds and thus you cant edit direction or lead in because your not on the job assignment tab.
    Hope this helps

Thanks for the guidance. That did indeed help. I was on the lead tab, not the job assignment tab. Now I can change the machining direction. I still cannot shorten the end point to less than the selected edge length by dragging the exit (arrow) end. I have to switch the direction then drag the circle, then flip the direction back. I am only able to get the length shortened on the circle end of the job assignment.

I did do the model update and think that will be really nice once I figure out its quirks. I haven't figured out how to match the units and coordinate system by just clicking the update. I use Geomagic for Cad. I build models how ever it is convenient in Geomagic, then adjust the coordinates in Sprutcam for the side I am machining after exporting the IGES file. The ones I updated tonight brought in the new model, but it was as a separate model and it looks like an unscaled coordinate system as it brought it in as an addition, and it was a long ways from where the original model coordinate system was located and wasn't oriented the same way.