This area of the Zone looks a little less traveled.
I have had a 20 Ton press for a long time. It doesn't do much. I already outfitted it with an air assist hydraulic jack. I have used it some, but really very little use. I doubt seriously that I will be using what I make here for production. Much more hobby type use.
With the standard press as it comes from HF and a vise that I took off the mill because it was replaced with two double vises, I should have just about everything I need for this project.
That is less the band heater and PID control. I have ordered the initial testing heater. I will likely need two of them. The one I bought is only an inch ID. I will be using some standard 3/4" stainless steel pipe to start with for the pot or chamber. It is just about an inch OD. .82" ID. It will have a standard SS cap on it which will become the nozzle. I will machine a steel press plate that will conform to that caps shape. That press plate will be used on all the molds I make. So far, I only have one planned. That means that each mold will be at least three pieces with the top plate. That may change, but that is the initial plan. The mold itself will be in the milling vise which will get mounted. The ram is .813" W1 Tool steel. It will have an attaching collar to affix it to the presses ram. It is 1.5" steel.

I have researched this quite a bit over the years. Can't stomach paying for anything I have seen on the market so far. So, I will post more when I have more info. This will be a fairly slow hobby use only build.

I intend to initially make my own knobs. I would love to have some in red. Those babies are either scarce or expensive. I order black ones at 1200 a time. Less than a buck each, but I have never been pleased with any of the ones I have bought in bulk. They work, but....
I can get SS wing nuts already threaded for about 35 cents each low volume. I intend to overmold those into a red ergonomic knobs. Probably do 4 knobs per shot. Now what I would really like is some translucent red so you could see the wing nuts inside.

I haven't researched low or hobby volume plastic pellets yet either. Not much that is.
The knobs I have been using are polypropylene. That stuff is readily available, but not sure how to tint or color it. I have only seen white. Another option might be the ABS etc from my 3D printing days. It was fairly stout stuff even 3D printed.
I have seen that in pellet form.
Anyway, enough rambling for now.
If anyone has any input or sources for raw materials, feel free to chime in.