Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
Okay. I hooked up the electronics and heater. Man, that heats up fast. Before I could get the controller set correctly, the heater blew out. I knew I should have disconnected it first.
I considered the heater part to be consumable anyway. I have a few more on the way, but USA made ones too. A couple Chinese and a couple USA made should keep me going. I don't think the heater should have burned out, so it probably had a factory issue anyway. It was only up around 300 C, which is hotter than I will typically be using, but within operating range on the heater.

The controller works great though. I was thinking that I might need two heat bands on this? No way. Now my pipe is 5" long. I have ordered a 3.5" instead. I think that will be a more suitable length.
I also ordered the next size up for the ram. I will go ahead and bore out the new SS pipe nipple anyway. I am sure that will help eliminate some messy situations I could have had with standard pipe nipples.
Since I already had the press, this is turning out to me one of the simpler things that I have made or tried to make. I still have a couple more projects that are in limbo for one reason or another, but still on the to do list.
Hey Lee thats pretty neat what your doing. . I may eventually try some molding also. Oh and btw I have mfg electric heaters for a living last 24 years and yes here in the USA baby. You ever in need of a heater, T/C or controller just PM me and I can set you up.
If you want really HOT I'd use a mineral insulated type nozzle band heater. The mica bands are good for barrels in larger diameters but the watt density is low like 30-40
MI's can go to 150 watts/sq-in
And ya hooking a heater up across the line and letting it rip will end badly.