586,065 active members*
4,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Passive Probe Calibration

I am not sure if I have an issue or not, but before I go smashing my probe into the work surface I figured I'd check. I am trying to calibrate my passive probe for the first time and I am following the directions as to how to set the tool length of the probe, however I have done it 3 times and all 3 times I get a negative tool length (-.3171) , the negative value to me doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like it should be a positive value just like every tool in the tool table.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

Re: Passive Probe Calibration

How are you measuring its length? Also, how are you measuring the length of other tools? Mach3 or PathPilot?

If you're using Mach3 and a surface plate and a height gauge, you can measure the touch probe like any other tool. I've forgotten what it's called, but one of the Mach3 tabs displays all the "LEDs" for the inputs and outputs. Find the one that lights (or turns off) when you activate the probe, then watch for it to change as you slowly bring the height gauge down onto the probe stylus.

You can probably use the probe itself to measure its height. First switch to the tool number of the probe, then bring the spindle nose down to a flat surface (the height of that surface doesn't need to be known). Obviously, you'll want to do this slowly/accurately. When you've touched-off the nose, zero the Z DRO. Now bring the head up and install the Passive Probe. Then do a probe move (G31 I think, but I suggest double checking) down onto that surface. The Z DRO will be displaying the probe length.

Instead of typing all that, I should have pointed you to this video...
    https://youtu.be/2EIQo8g4RVQ

I think it shows how to get the probe set up. (starting at ~10:52)

it seems like the "set reference" button just isn't working? I had thought about measuring it offline but had the thought that it might not be as accurate after reading the thread about the flex of the stylus. But I think this method will work for me since I only want to use the probe for digitizing and all values will be relative to the probe anyways?? I use a Haimer to set work offsets so I'm all set there