586,675 active members*
2,924 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Trouble with 2.2kw Chinese spindle, need help with VFD settings
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: Trouble with 2.2kw Chinese spindle, need help with VFD settings

Quote Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
    Mactec54,
    Maybe you can help me. The VFD is wired correctly and I have the four-wire shielded cable running to the spindle. My spindle is a 2.2 kw Chinese, 220 v, 8.5 A 400 hz & water cooled. The VFD settings are the same as what you posted earlier. The problem is as the spindle starts spooling up, it emits a high frequently squealing noise. It get louder as the rpm increases. Rpm reaches about 6k before I stop it. The Chinese provided "Manual Guide" says if "strong noise reminds spindle needs more grease, ". To me, this implies the bearing need grease. This spindle has "4 Germany bearing" and about 60 secs of total run time. Any ideas? Also, how do I know if my spindle has 2 or 4 motor pole? Thanks Dave
    They are all 2 pole, you may have a Parameter not set correct, do a Factory Reset, and only set the parameters I have suggested

The German bearing is a good one, that is a bearing manufacture in China with that name, your bearings won't need grease, plus they are sealed, so will run some time before they need to be serviced

Post 34 has the parameters you need
    Mactec54

Thanks Mactec54,

Here are the parameters, which I belive match what you posted.
    The VFR setting are default (PD013 = 8) except for:

PD003 = 400.0
    PD004 = 400.0
    PD005 = 400.0
    PD007 = 20
    PD008 = 220
    PD009 = 15
    PD010 = 8
    PD011 = 120
    PD014 = 12
    PD015 = 12
    PD072 = 400.0
    PD073 = 120.0
    PD141 = 220.0
    PD142 = 8.5
    PD143 = 2

I was playing with it today and it threw an error code of: E.OC.A. ANy idea of what this means? Not covered in the book.
    Thanks
    Dave

I was playing with it today and it threw an error code of: E.OC.A. ANy idea of what this means? Not covered in the book.
    Check the wiring of the spindle plug,

Check the motor windings between each pin and each pin to Ground with a meter, you may have a bad spindle motor

How have you wired the 220V to the VFD Drive photos can be best for this
    Mactec54

Here is a picture of the VFD wiring, I used 14/3 wiring but the white common is not connected to anything. Used 18/3 shielded cable to the spindle. Both the green wire to pin 4 and the shield foil is connected to the VFD ground. I checked the plug and there is no connectivity between any of the four pins. I put electrical tape around the pin soldering. The plug itself is gounded (via the shield foil I assume) and there is connectivity between the plug and the spindle body. I tried it again just to see and it quickly throws the same error code. Thanks for your help.

Attachment 320520

Here is a picture of the VFD wiring, I used 14/3 wiring but the white common is not connected to anything. Used 18/3 shielded cable to the spindle. Both the green wire to pin 4 and the shield foil is connected to the VFD ground. I checked the plug and there is no connectivity between any of the four pins. I put electrical tape around the pin soldering. The plug itself is gounded (via the shield foil I assume) and there is connectivity between the plug and the spindle body. I tried it again just to see and it quickly throws the same error code. Thanks for your help.

Attachment 320520
    Does not look ideal, change the input power to R & T terminals, ( 2 ) Hot wires only Plus Ground to the VFD Ground, looks also like your cable is a little light on the output side to

Increase the Ramp up/Acceleration Time, as I said before start at 15s you may need more Adjust to suit

This is the minimum for cable size you need for the output from the VFD to the Spindle CF35-15-04 it is from IGUS, or the equivalent from another
    supplier

You must check the Ground Pin at the Spindle this must be Grounded to the Spindle most are not, these need to be modified, like this photo

The Shield is not a Ground and must not be used as a Ground, your cable needs 4 wires and a shield for the output cable

You must have a Ground wire in the Shielded cable that is connected to the VFD and Connected to the Spindle Motor

igus® Chainflex® continuous-flex cables: Chainflex® CF35 motor cable TPE
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Does not look ideal, change the input power to R & T terminals, ( 2 ) Hot wires only Plus Ground to the VFD Ground, looks also like your cable is a little light on the output side to

Increase the Ramp up/Acceleration Time, as I said before start at 15s you may need more Adjust to suit

This is the minimum for cable size you need for the output from the VFD to the Spindle CF35-15-04 it is from IGUS, or the equivalent from another
    supplier

You must check the Ground Pin at the Spindle this must be Grounded to the Spindle most are not, these need to be modified, like this photo

The Shield is not a Ground and must not be used as a Ground, your cable needs 4 wires and a shield for the output cable

You must have a Ground wire in the Shielded cable that is connected to the VFD and Connected to the Spindle Motor

igus® Chainflex® continuous-flex cables: Chainflex® CF35 motor cable TPE
    Ok. I changed the input to R & T terminals. Made no difference. Didn't hurt anything, but didn't help either. The output cable may be light so if I get the thing to work I'll change it.
    I removed the shield from the VFD ground terminal, BIG improvement. The spindle actually started to spin up. Very loud whine however. Would shut down after about 15 sec with same error code.
    Changed the hz output to 100hz which is around 6k rpms? And watched the F counter as the spindle spooled up to around 80hz when the spindle (VFD?) threw the error.

Increased the Ramp Up/Accel to 15, no change. Move it down to 5, things got a little better!! would get to 85hz before throwing the error.

Have a ground wire in shielded cable that is connected to the VFD and Connected to the Spindle Motor.
    Spindle is grounded to pin 4.

Is the E.OC.A error being generated by the VFD or the spindle?

Thanks Dave

Ok. I changed the input to R & T terminals. Made no difference. Didn't hurt anything, but didn't help either. The output cable may be light so if I get the thing to work I'll change it.
    I removed the shield from the VFD ground terminal, BIG improvement. The spindle actually started to spin up. Very loud whine however. Would shut down after about 15 sec with same error code.
    Changed the hz output to 100hz which is around 6k rpms? And watched the F counter as the spindle spooled up to around 80hz when the spindle (VFD?) threw the error.

Increased the Ramp Up/Accel to 15, no change. Move it down to 5, things got a little better!! would get to 85hz before throwing the error.

Have a ground wire in shielded cable that is connected to the VFD and Connected to the Spindle Motor.
    Spindle is grounded to pin 4.

Is the E.OC.A error being generated by the VFD or the spindle?

Thanks Dave
    It's not a good idea to change the Hz settings this will damage the Drive, changing to the R & T is not meant to make any changes, it just a better balance of the IGBTs, for these VFD Drives, they will work either way

PD011=120 with this VFD you should not try it below this number, all other settings must stay the same or you will damage the VFD

You did not test the Spindle with your meter

Pin 1 to Pin 2=

Pin 2 to Pin 3=

Pin 3 to Pin 1=

The E.OC.A Fault see attached, I think if you check the spindle as above and the readings are close to being all the same then you have a problem with the wiring

If you had the Neutral wire that you have in the Photo connected to the VFD at any time, and run it with the Neutral attached then the VFD will be Damaged
    Mactec54

It's not a good idea to change the Hz settings this will damage the Drive, changing to the R & T is not meant to make any changes, it just a better balance of the IGBTs, for these VFD Drives, they will work either way

PD011=120 with this VFD you should not try it below this number, all other settings must stay the same or you will damage the VFD

You did not test the Spindle with your meter

Pin 1 to Pin 2=

Pin 2 to Pin 3=

Pin 3 to Pin 1=

The E.OC.A Fault see attached, I think if you check the spindle as above and the readings are close to being all the same then you have a problem with the wiring

If you had the Neutral wire that you have in the Photo connected to the VFD at any time, and run it with the Neutral attached then the VFD will be Damaged
    May have found the problem.....

Pin 1 to Pin 2= 0.0

Pin 2 to Pin 3= Maxed out

Pin 3 to Pin 1= 0.0

Does this mean that the spindle is shorted out?

May have found the problem.....

Pin 1 to Pin 2= 0.0

Pin 2 to Pin 3= Maxed out

Pin 3 to Pin 1= 0.0

Does this mean that the spindle is shorted out?
    There should be some resistance like 1.4 some are a little higher between all pins, what do you get when you do each Pin to Ground, do you have your meter in the right mode
    Mactec54

There should be some resistance like 1.4 some are a little higher between all pins, what do you get when you do each Pin to Ground, do you have your meter in the right mode
    Hi Mac,
    Pin 1 to Pin 4 = 0.0 No movement of the needle
    Pin 2 to Pin 4 = Max ohms
    Pin 3 to Pin 4 = Max ohms
    Pin 4 to body = 0.0 No movement of the needle
    I am in the ohms mode using RX10 setting for all tests

What does this mean?

Hi Mac,
    I am in the ohms mode using RX10 setting for all tests

What does this mean?
    Something does not seem right, just to be sure take the spindle to a motor repair shop, and get them to test the windings, don't try to run it unless they say it is ok
    Mactec54

Something does not seem right, just to be sure take the spindle to a motor repair shop, and get them to test the windings, don't try to run it unless they say it is ok
    I am in touch with the vendor. I informed him of the same results. Hopefully, we can swap spindles. There was no connectivity between pin 4 and the spindle body. Why in the world woulda manufacturer say to connect a ground wire without having it actually connected inside the device. Thanks for your help. Dave

I am in touch with the vendor. I informed him of the same results. Hopefully, we can swap spindles. There was no connectivity between pin 4 and the spindle body. Why in the world woulda manufacturer say to connect a ground wire without having it actually connected inside the device. Thanks for your help. Dave
    May be I did not make it clear enough,( Post 45 ) when I said to check the Pin 4 Ground

This is the first thing you have to fix when you get one of these spindles, as per the photo that I posted, 99% of them are all like this, it is not good to try and run one without the Ground Connection between the Pin 4 and the Spindle body
    Mactec54

May be I did not make it clear enough,( Post 45 ) when I said to check the Pin 4 Ground

This is the first thing you have to fix when you get one of these spindles, as per the photo that I posted, 99% of them are all like this, it is not good to try and run one without the Ground Connection between the Pin 4 and the Spindle body
    When I get the replacement, this will be the first time I check/do. Thanks for your help. Dave

When I get the replacement, this will be the first time I check/do. Thanks for your help. Dave
    Get the correct cable type also, this is a must, your input cable is also not up to the requirements for VFD wiring
    Mactec54

dsnellen,

I am in the ohms mode using RX10 setting for all test

If you really are in the Ohms mode you should move the meter to Ohms and use the lowest range. A zero means it sees no resistance between two pins, like they are shorted out to each other. When you show MAX ohms that is an open, meaning it is not seeing any resistance or like there is no connection at all. You said the motor spins for a short period of time if you really had open connections the motor could not spin. Please use a different meter or have someone check who is familiar with a multi meter. The cable that goes to the actual Spindle should be a shielded cable, also as Mactec54 shared the spindle itself should be grounded, it is very important you don't feed the output of the VFD to the wrong pin on the spindle or you could get shocked. If you get a new spindle or even with the one you have check each pin in the spindle plug and measure it using a GOOD ohm meter to the spindle case, only one of the pins should be connected to the spindle case that is the ground pin. Some of these Chinese spindles come with only a three pin connector, mine came that way. In those cases you still need to ground the spindle case using the mounting bracket or other method, this is an important safety concern. The preferred spindle cable contains a copper braided shield, these help shield all the EMI noise that comes from the AC pulses in that cable. Also double checking all those VFD settings before you start is very important as Mactec54 shared if you set those wrong you can destroy the VFD or Spindle. Triple check everything before you connect the spindle and in your case you show the incoming AC power with the White wire stripped and hanging next to those power connections, another big NO NO. If the wire is not used cut the end off so it can't get moved and touch something and destroy the units. You should be using 14AWG wire minimum as the incoming 220V AC power, and for the three phase output should be a shielded 16AWG minimum. A good source of cables to use for Spindles is often a Servo Power cable, which can be found on ebay.Attachment 320814

You can then just cut off the connectors and then connect them to the VFD and Spindle. This photo shows you an example, you can see the braided shield. Many people fail to get a shielded cable and then have all kinds of issues with the CNC controller due to all the noise generated. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    dsnellen,

I am in the ohms mode using RX10 setting for all test

If you really are in the Ohms mode you should move the meter to Ohms and use the lowest range. A zero means it sees no resistance between two pins, like they are shorted out to each other. When you show MAX ohms that is an open, meaning it is not seeing any resistance or like there is no connection at all. You said the motor spins for a short period of time if you really had open connections the motor could not spin. Please use a different meter or have someone check who is familiar with a multi meter. The cable that goes to the actual Spindle should be a shielded cable, also as Mactec54 shared the spindle itself should be grounded, it is very important you don't feed the output of the VFD to the wrong pin on the spindle or you could get shocked. If you get a new spindle or even with the one you have check each pin in the spindle plug and measure it using a GOOD ohm meter to the spindle case, only one of the pins should be connected to the spindle case that is the ground pin. Some of these Chinese spindles come with only a three pin connector, mine came that way. In those cases you still need to ground the spindle case using the mounting bracket or other method, this is an important safety concern. The preferred spindle cable contains a copper braided shield, these help shield all the EMI noise that comes from the AC pulses in that cable. Also double checking all those VFD settings before you start is very important as Mactec54 shared if you set those wrong you can destroy the VFD or Spindle. Triple check everything before you connect the spindle and in your case you show the incoming AC power with the White wire stripped and hanging next to those power connections, another big NO NO. If the wire is not used cut the end off so it can't get moved and touch something and destroy the units. You should be using 14AWG wire minimum as the incoming 220V AC power, and for the three phase output should be a shielded 16AWG minimum. A good source of cables to use for Spindles is often a Servo Power cable, which can be found on ebay.Attachment 320814

You can then just cut off the connectors and then connect them to the VFD and Spindle. This photo shows you an example, you can see the braided shield. Many people fail to get a shielded cable and then have all kinds of issues with the CNC controller due to all the noise generated. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Russ
    Thanks Russ,
    I mis-spoke. What I said about the Ohms was backwards.

Ok. I received another spindle from the manufacturer. It is sitting on the table. I checked the pins.

Pin 1 to Pin 2 : o.o ohms meaning direct connectivity.
    Pin 1 to Pin 3 : Same. No resistance.
    Pin 2 to Pin 3 : Same. No resistance.
    Pins 1, 2 &3 to Pin 4: Nothing Max resistance.
    Pin 4 to case: Nothing. Obliviously this one is not grounded either. !st order of business. Are these Pin to pIn reading correct?

Also misspoke about the VFD to spindle wiring. It is 16AWG.
    Thanks
    Dave

Thanks Russ,
    I mis-spoke. What I said about the Ohms was backwards.

Ok. I received another spindle from the manufacturer. It is sitting on the table. I checked the pins.

Pin 1 to Pin 2 : o.o ohms meaning direct connectivity.
    Pin 1 to Pin 3 : Same. No resistance.
    Pin 2 to Pin 3 : Same. No resistance.
    Pins 1, 2 &3 to Pin 4: Nothing Max resistance.
    Pin 4 to case: Nothing. Obliviously this one is not grounded either. !st order of business. Are these Pin to pIn reading correct?

Also misspoke about the VFD to spindle wiring. It is 16AWG.
    Thanks
    Dave
    I think you need to get the spindle checked as your readings are not correct, the readings should be around 1.2 to 1.4 so something is not right, your meter may be giving you incorrect readings

Pin 4 yes that is normal to find them not Grounded which need to be modified so that they are Grounded
    Mactec54

I think you need to get the spindle checked as your readings are not correct, the readings should be around 1.2 to 1.4 so something is not right, your meter may be giving you incorrect readings

Pin 4 yes that is normal to find them not Grounded which need to be modified so that they are Grounded
    Thank Mac,
    I will buy a new meter tomorrow and retest. Thanks for all your help. Dave

Thank Mac,
    I will buy a new meter tomorrow and retest. Thanks for all your help. Dave
    Get a Digital Multimeter, it does not have to be expensive, but do a search for one with a good reputation
    Mactec54

Page 3 of 4 1234