586,116 active members*
3,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > can't bore jaws with chuck open

can't bore jaws with chuck open

Okuma LNC 8 Cadet with OSP 5020L control, So I get set up to bore my jaws and turn the spindle on, it starts to spin and suddenly stops with a 119 chuck open alarm. I shut it down and hoped it would reset but no. Now it won't even try to start. No alarm now either. Spins fine with jaw closed in manual setting. Anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?

Re: can't bore jaws with chuck open

There are 2 prox switched on the back of your actuator that need to be adjusted so that only one of them is on at a time. One is for unclamp and one for clamp. In the event that your chuck over travels, the alarm occurs. You will probably need to unclamp and reclamp in order to start running the spindle again.

BTW, you should still be clamping on something in order to bore your jaws correctly and you should stay in the middle of your stroke as shown on your master jaw #1 markings in order to maintain good gripping pressure. You may need to bore at a reduced pressure and then return to your normal pressure once bored.

Another possibility is to use the M185 Chuck Rotation Interlock OFF if your machine has the option.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    There are 2 prox switched on the back of your actuator that need to be adjusted so that only one of them is on at a time. One is for unclamp and one for clamp. In the event that your chuck over travels, the alarm occurs. You will probably need to unclamp and reclamp in order to start running the spindle again.

BTW, you should still be clamping on something in order to bore your jaws correctly and you should stay in the middle of your stroke as shown on your master jaw #1 markings in order to maintain good gripping pressure. You may need to bore at a reduced pressure and then return to your normal pressure once bored.

Another possibility is to use the M185 Chuck Rotation Interlock OFF if your machine has the option.

Best regards,
    How do you clamp something to bore out the jaws? A big ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmooresshop View Post
    How do you clamp something to bore out the jaws? A big ring?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dRMm9P9XdbY

Or

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general-metalwork-discussion/43353-cnc-machinist.html

Thanks. This helped a lot. I'm very grateful for you taking the time.

Very interesting and helpful info here. I have been machining since 1990 and I am still learning so much. Thanks for taking the time.