586,058 active members*
4,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Cheap tanks?

Cheap tanks?

Hi. Just wondering if I have wasted my moneyy on recent purchases. Was told by a university welding instructor that I had. I purchased some tanks at rummage sales this past summer. I got one medium-sized oxygen tank, one acetylene tank (sized for the oxygen tank), as well as two CO2 tanks from another sale (one full of CO2/argon mix). Not having lots of money, I must buy when I think they are cheap. Gave $1 each for the oxy/acet bottles, $1 for box of regulators/flow meters, $2 for smaller CO2 bottle and $3 for th other. Still looking to find a welder at a sale that I consider worth the price. Did I just waste my $8 or can I perhaps use them in the future? I'm new to welding, having taken 18 hour vo-tech course, but hope to keep on learning.

the regulators and similar will probably be ok, but the tanks are iffy..
    most tanks are company owned [rather than end user], and are rented on a contract basis..
    Use them until they are empty and return to authorized dealer...
    The ones I have seen are usually stamped on the neck with the company name...the few customer owned ones that I have seen are only about 2 feet tall,

enjoy..

Its my understanding that there is a capacity limit to what can legally be owned privately. The big tanks MUST be leased.

I own (privately) two 80cu.ft. argon tanks and a similar sized O/A setup because I was told I couldn't own the bigger tanks. Just as well anyway, my usage level is pretty low.

EDIT: And definitely have those tanks thoroughly checked and tested before filling them.

I had some tanks that I got when my dad passed away. They sat in his garage for YEARS (10-15 at least).

After he died, I took them to my house (in another state) and looked locally for an agent who'd refill them. I learned that ONLY the same agent who's tanks they were stamped (AIRCO I believe) would/could refill them.

So I went there and THEY immediately assessed a "pressure check" charge to recertify the tank - I had no choice as it was THEIR TANK merely on loan to me (essentially forever) but still THEIR TANK.

Paid the certification fee and the gas fee and the guy helped me load the full "new" tanks into my vehicle and I went on my way no worse for wear.

I own a few different tanks, from 75/25, argon, oxygen, acetelyne, you name it, in several different sizes, depending on what they are used for. None are smaller than 120 size.
    The welding supplies in my area will either lease you or sell you a bottle, and when the bottle is empty, they give you another that is full. The only difference is to lease them, you give them a 100 dollar deposit, and pay 6 bucks a month. When you stop using that bottle, you get your hundred bucks back.
    If you buy one, you spend around 200 bucks for the bottle, but you can generally take it anywhere. There are three main gas suppliers in this area, and I think they all go through the same main distributor.

If you bought bottles anywhere, check the stamp date on them at the neck, the bottle is pressure tested to be good for 5 years after that date. After 5 years, you pay 25 bucks for a re-test to make sure the bottle is safe. If it doesn't pass, you buy a new bottle.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Thanks for your replies. It helps me a lot. Haven't made it out to check the company names on the bottles yet. My brother told me that you don't often need oxy/acet setup, but when you do, it's nice to have it available (like to straighten out lawn mower parts to some seblance of their former shape :-). I will probably buy a new hose/torch set rather than take a chance on getting a good set at a rummage sale. I hope to eventually acquire a MIG or TIG welder, so I think the other bottles will get used also. Merry Christmas to all and be safe!

My supplier (Starweld) has tanks with with just about everyones name either stamped or cast right in the bottle neck. Airco, AGA, etc. etc.

When my father passed away he owned a pair of large Linde (now Airgas) bottles. When I asked Starweld to refill them I had to produce a copy of the original purchase agreement to prove the tanks were in fact owned legally. After that & recertification they could refill & return only.

I lease my other tanks on a 5 year basis @ 95.00 & have to pay no monthly fees. As long as I have any tank leased I can get any quantity of tanks or any gas mix I want with no charge (other than for the gas in the tank) as long as the tanks are exchanged at least every 30 days. If I keep a tank (other than leased) beyond 30 days I am charged "Demurrage" (rent) of 5.00 per tank.

There that's clear as mud I know. It depends on your supplier & their rules & regs.

I use Starweld simply because they deliver to my door & no one else will. It is a great benefit that they are also very accomodating.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Prices vary quite a bit by supplier, and expected usage [for rental or contract tanks]..I pay about $55 cdn for medium 5' tall oxygen tanks per year, fills extra, no minumum... the acetylene is $45 per year, fills extra again..This is from Praxair..another supplier has a special [Acklands] for $35 per year with 3 years contract paid up in front..a little more for the fills..
    Around here the only tanks that can be purchased outright are the little [maybe 30" tall] ones...
    I sometimes switch over to propane instead of acetylene, quite a bit cheaper..

I have no idea of refill costs on customer owned tanks..

enjoy..

On the 2 tanks I own the Ox. is the same as a trade out under lease agreement about 17.00 per fill. The Acet. is priced per cu.ft. I don't have them done very often. I pretty much just use those 2 tanks as a reserve supply in case I run low on trade out bottles.

I have found places that advertise larger bottles for sale on the web. But just wasn't interested enough to try & find out if the end consumer can buy them. On a refill & return basis it would mean hasving to own double what I normally lease.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!