3,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: 4' x 6' Steel CNC Router

Looks sharp
    JB

looks very good, man; when you get started on something, you get after it, eh? could you give us the dimensions of the steel you built this out of,please, also overall dimensions of the whole setup if its not too much trouble

Thanks guys for the great comments! she looks good, now I just need to get to run as well as it looks

Quote Originally Posted by joelhofer View Post
    looks very good, man; when you get started on something, you get after it, eh? could you give us the dimensions of the steel you built this out of,please, also overall dimensions of the whole setup if its not too much trouble
    Hey man, have a look at my very first post in this thread, there is a drawing of the overall dimensions and also the info: on the steel I used

So far the total cost to build this machine is $5265.00 Canadian, I still have a few odds and ends to buy like the limit switches and so on

Had a minor set back this weekend, the pulley system design wasn't working very well or not to my liking so I machined some flange bearing.
    The flanges are double sided, I have (2) 12mm sealed bearings per flange, the pulley's now turn perfectly straight with no resistance.

Very happy with the end result!

I got the machine fired up over the weekend and did some fine tuning in the last couple of day, except for a few minor glitches and two wires reversed the start up went very well and I'm extremely pleased!

I'm very impressed with the Leadshine DM870 drivers, it's almost plug & play, the auto tuning is awesome, a quick flick of the number 4 dip switch on each driver and each stepper is perfectly calibrated to the driver.

Got it running up to 1400 IPM SCARY to see a 350 lb gantry move that fast!!!

I'll post a video soon!

Can I ask why only 4x6 and not 4 x 8'? I am new to all of this cnc stuff but could you add a lathe to the side and run the same router over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Joebreznick View Post
    Can I ask why only 4x6 and not 4 x 8'? I am new to all of this cnc stuff but could you add a lathe to the side and run the same router over it?
    If I would of had the space it would have been a 12' table lol

As for the lathe, possible but way to complicated! but! you could and a 4th axis like in the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150311114340905.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	315416

You do very nice work, you could sell these custom cnc. What will you be running for software? I have enroute on my Multi-cam mg3000 router looking for a software package for cabinets now. I may end up renting Mozaik or buying cabinet pro not sure yet. I would like to build a CNC router that is setup like a multi-router with a 24+ wide table that you could do tennons or dovetails on.Attachment 315420 or see it here> Multi-Router turns 25 and still can't be beat - Fine Woodworking

Thanks man! I'm using Mach3 and Bobcat cam

Sent from my Studio 5.0LTE using Tapatalk

I know this thread is a little old, but I am about ready to start my second CNC build, and was looking at the same helical rack and pinion set that you have. How have they been holding up? I would love to be able to use helical racks for my next build. By the way, I really like how simple your pulley design is. Looks really sharp. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bob83 View Post
    I know this thread is a little old, but I am about ready to start my second CNC build, and was looking at the same helical rack and pinion set that you have. How have they been holding up? I would love to be able to use helical racks for my next build. By the way, I really like how simple your pulley design is. Looks really sharp. Thanks.

The helical rack and pinion are doing a great job, absolutely no regrets!!

Have you notices if the round rails allow any movement?
    Also where did you get your rack from? I'm in Canada too and having a hell of a time finding it for a somewhat reasonable price, so much so that I've considered a belt drive.

Would love to see the video.

I just put in my second order with linearmotionbearings2008 on eBay. http://stores.ebay.com/linearmotionbearings
    I was happy with the round profile rails I ordered, and there balls crews. I ordered there contoured rails this time. If u email them directly and ask for a quote they will give you the best deal I have yet to find. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff0000 View Post
    Have you notices if the round rails allow any movement?
    Also where did you get your rack from? I'm in Canada too and having a hell of a time finding it for a somewhat reasonable price, so much so that I've considered a belt drive.

Would love to see the video.
    Hey Jeff, the round rails so far are doing a great job, I've machined a lot of aluminium in the past couple of months, 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4" and I'm always within 5 thousands.

I got it from econvenience1986 on eBay he's a great seller, very good service.
    If you make an reasonable best offer he will accept it.

I also purchased the ball screw for the Z axis from him.

As for the rack, I got it from aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-25...608.0.0.D0QaQm

You can also negotiate with them! I bought 4 racks 1400mm, 4 pinions, 4 drag chains 1000mm and one ball nut housing for $576.00 shipping included by DHL got everything in 4 days!!

Hope this helps.

Page 3 of 3 123