586,103 active members*
3,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Part 1 of another X2 Harbor Freight Mini Mill Conversion, NOT A KIT.
Page 1 of 2 12

Part 1 of another X2 Harbor Freight Mini Mill Conversion, NOT A KIT.

I dabbled with cnc back in the early 90's and built a couple stepper controllers and a couple of little xy projects. Life got busy and I quit messing with it, until now, I'm going to start tinkering again. I'm converting a mini as a "get my feet wet" project and hopefully with the experience and lessons learned, I'll move up someday to a larger machine.

I'll post video updates as I finish them, but for now here's Part 1. More to come...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu8VAfHwjGI

Re: Part 1 of another X2 Harbor Freight Mini Mill Conversion, NOT A KIT.

Nice video, good luck on the build, I'll be following along. Jealous of that big mill... --md

Here's part 2 of the project. I'm making stop blocks or ball nut holders, if that doesn't make sense you're not alone. I've got a few comments from guys that say they're not sure what I'm talking about. It'll all make sense eventually.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00xXvAkdbic

Looks like some machining on the saddle is in order!! Fun fun fun..lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Really nice job on the mill and the videos. I have my own mini mill cnc conversion that I try to document but not nearly as well as yours.

Part 3. Machining ball screws. This was a little tough for me/my lathe. I don't think my little lathe is really stiff enough for this job, but, nonetheless, I got the Y screw finished. The X screw will just be a repeat, so I don't show it in the video. I'm sure you machinist out there will find a bunch of problems with my technique, but what do you expect from a YouTube machinist?

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed watching your videos and I am looking forward to seeing how it progresses. I own a zx45 which is the bigger version of this and mine is converted to a cnc from a company already. I am in the process of refitting it to make it better. If you seen the way it was done and how much they cost new it would make you sick. It's hard to believe the lead screw block is just held in with set screws! Will you change that at all?maybe marking them and tapping them?so they can't move or come loose? Will you be supporting the x ballscrew on the opposite end? And may I ask is it OK to just use one ball nut?will it be OK with backlash?

I am amazed at how much you were charged for shipping!and the fact you were mistreated when you ask for the deference refunded is unreal. Anyway awesome job so far and again I look forward to seeing this in the end

Thanks for the comments Chop. I'm kind of in this project by the seat of my pants and not planning too far ahead. I think the reason the blocks are held in with the set screws is that allows you some adjustment. When its put back together, you could tweak and adjust their position to get everything smooth, then lock them down. Not sure, but that's my feeling. As far as backlash, I'm going to try just using one nut and hope for the best. I've heard about guys taking the balls out the nuts and replacing them with oversized balls and cutting backlash down. I'm learning as I go, which is sort of the whole point of this project for me.

Part 4. Still working on the Y axis, this time its a bearing block for the ball screw. And, my first "screw" up, but not too bad. I hope you guys don't mind these shorter videos because it sure is a lot easier for me to keep up with and edit in smaller chunks. If I wait until I get several hours of video recorded and then try to condense it into 30 min. or less, its a ton of work and takes forever to upload. I think keeping them less than 10 minutes each and focusing on one part at a time is best for my sanity.
    https://youtu.be/gad5wrFwWAE

Share away! I enjoy the videos.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Part 5 of this project, making the y axis motor plate.
    https://youtu.be/IJhQFxfF77w

The last post of Part 5 of this project needs the link updated. I couldn't find anyway to edit it, so here's the new link to the video.
    https://youtu.be/Z8FhT4nGk20

Every time I see an X2 conversion thread, I think 'I MUST do that to my X2 one day'
    Great videos, hope my shed is not as cold as your is when I get around to this.

Just wanted to mention, if you're interested in cnc machining do not underestimate learning 3d modeling software. I'm pretty good with 2d cad and learning 3d has been harder than I predicted. I'm using Fusion 360 and I do recommend it for several reasons. Drawing simple brackets and fixtures seem easy enough, but when I started trying to design a folder with it I hit a wall. Took me a long time to get to this, and it's still not done. I think converting a machine is a lot easier than learning the software!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lvMs7VvP5Q

Nice vids, Looking forward to next one. Any idea how to get more height out of the z axis.

Nice progress, coming along great. Saw the note at the end of #5 video, sorry for your loss. --md

Here's part 6 of this project.
    https://youtu.be/NF7mUEcnt4Q

I've just been warned that solid motor couplings may be a bad idea. I'd never considered it, but now that he's got to me thinking about it, I could see how they could be a problem over time if they are not aligned perfectly. Something to consider, not sure if I'll change or not yet.

Most people use couplers that allow for some slight misalignment. I have used these from McMaster with good results, but they are not cheap at all.

McMaster-Carr

I have also seen some people make some Oldham style couplers as well

Every design known to man, every shaft size combo at your fingertips. Cheap too.
    stepper couplers | eBay
    A lazy man does it twice.

Page 1 of 2 12