586,119 active members*
3,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

managing files

What software do you use to manage/resize etc to create usable art or graphic files for use with sheetcam/mach3
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Re: managing files

Millman i use coreldraw x7 for plasma dxf files but the program is very capable of much more than 2d art

There is a free vector drawing tool called Inkscape. Its sort of a CorelDraw clone and has some limitations (like it won't do multipage documents/projects) . It will read a lot of file formats and has auto trace (convert a bitmap to a vector file) It saves everything in SVG format which is handy because SheeCAm imports SVG and the curves and arcs come directly across. My least favourite file format is DXF but pure CAD programs won't handle much else. The DXF export out of CorelDraw is pretty wretched . I use SVG even in CorelDraw now.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    There is a free vector drawing tool called Inkscape. Its sort of a CorelDraw clone and has some limitations (like it won't do multipage documents/projects) . It will read a lot of file formats and has auto trace (convert a bitmap to a vector file) It saves everything in SVG format which is handy because SheeCAm imports SVG and the curves and arcs come directly across. My least favourite file format is DXF but pure CAD programs won't handle much else. The DXF export out of CorelDraw is pretty wretched . I use SVG even in CorelDraw now.

Thanks, I'll download it & work with it a bit. It sounds like it may be the very thing I'm looking for & the price is certainly right!!!
    If it works.....Don't fix it!