586,105 active members*
3,302 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lost Arc - Hypertherm 1650

I've been trouble free for a very long time with my cnc plasma set-up until a few days ago.

I had a lost arc during a contour and had to restart the arc and program to finish the part. Changed the consumables, the others were used a good bit so I didn't give it any more thought.

A few days later I had a lost arc again. Restarted and cut a very short distance and lost arc again.

I noticed that the error lights on front of power unit are on. The "V" indicator is illuminated on the front of power unit when it happens. Stays on for 10 seconds or so and goes off.

It's getting worse because now it happens during pierce. The arc pierces about half way and goes out. I can manually start the torch and the same results. Stays on for a split second and arc stops.

I checked the line voltage and it seems to be OK. Manual says, High or Low voltage will cause the "v" light to come on.. I'm not seeing a voltage problem checking it with a fluke meter.....

3 phase and crossing between legs get 248.6v, 250.2v, 249.5v.

How should I trouble shoot this? I'm assuming it's not CPU related or other electronic hardware related, but you know what they say about assumptions......

Thanks for the in-put....

AJ

Re: Lost Arc - Hypertherm 1650

Update.....

I complained to the power company late yesterday and they had a service tech come by last night and check things out. Naturally they don't leave a note to tell whether the service power had a problem or was out of spec.

But I finished cutting the job I started yesterday. Same cpu, same program, same controller hardware. Machine cut fine. Just turned it on and picked up where I left off...

I have a Hass mill that was complaining about "high voltage" too. Left it running all day and never saw the error message on it either. So, something has changed.

The ghost is gone for now. But I have that feeling it may show up again. Time will tell....

AJ

Chances are good you had a loose neutral at the transformers . Y ou are very lucky you did not loose a machine due to High voltage spikes that can occur with that problem.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Chances are good you had a loose neutral at the transformers . Y ou are very lucky you did not loose a machine due to High voltage spikes that can occur with that problem.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
    loose neutral would do nothing to three phase power ......

Best bet for troubleshooting is to call Hypertherm tech service. While the inlet power light is active there will be diagnostic flashing indicators inside the power supply...the tech guys are very good at helping you troubleshoot....they are helpful and free. The 1650 is 3 phase only....and it monitors input powerline balance in order to protect itself. You can also download the service manual (free) from the Choose your region and language | Hypertherm website . Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by ajclay View Post
    I've been trouble free for a very long time with my cnc plasma set-up until a few days ago.

I had a lost arc during a contour and had to restart the arc and program to finish the part. Changed the consumables, the others were used a good bit so I didn't give it any more thought.

A few days later I had a lost arc again. Restarted and cut a very short distance and lost arc again.

I noticed that the error lights on front of power unit are on. The "V" indicator is illuminated on the front of power unit when it happens. Stays on for 10 seconds or so and goes off.

It's getting worse because now it happens during pierce. The arc pierces about half way and goes out. I can manually start the torch and the same results. Stays on for a split second and arc stops.

I checked the line voltage and it seems to be OK. Manual says, High or Low voltage will cause the "v" light to come on.. I'm not seeing a voltage problem checking it with a fluke meter.....

3 phase and crossing between legs get 248.6v, 250.2v, 249.5v.

How should I trouble shoot this? I'm assuming it's not CPU related or other electronic hardware related, but you know what they say about assumptions......

Thanks for the in-put....

AJ