586,068 active members*
4,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc Alpha Servo Motor Test Rig

Hi,

We are a servo motor and spindle repair company in Europe. I would like to find the most economic system to test Fanuc servo motors of alpha, alphai and alpha spindle series.

I would like to get opinion of yours for the correct test rig configuration.

I am thinking of a Alpha power supply with single axis alpha servo drive of different sizes. The only question is what should be the most economic way to put a controller to such setup? Do we have to use cnc controllers like fanuc 16i series with LCD display or can we use alone only Power mate dpl/mdi handheld device?

I attached some youtube links of such systems.

FANUC A06B-6079 Servo Test rigs and Repairs - YouTube

Your valuable opinions are very appreciated

Thanks

Ozi

Re: Fanuc Alpha Servo Motor Test Rig

I have built several simulators for companies who repair drives. They use a Fanuc series CNC that was design to run those types of servos amplifiers which they repair. They then connect these to the proper motors and run the motors. The higher end repair shops actually put some kind of load on the motor (dyno). Be sure you load the correct parameters for the motor that you are testing with.

Hi again,

Can we look for a Fanuc 15i series CNC controller for covering Alpha series servo and spindle motors to run test?

Another question, can we use dpl/mdi handheld device to run servos without a CNC controller with display? I would like to minimize cost of investment, we only need to run test the motors. Can you suggest a configuration with part numbers?

Many thanks

Re: Fanuc Alpha Servo Motor Test Rig

15i would be overkill. However, I would stay away from the MDI/DPL units as you loose a lot of flexibilities. I would search EBAY for Fanuc 21i series control. You are going to need an able body to set this up and get it functional and show you how to use it with each configuration that you come up with. The 21i has pages where you can look at amp draw to to see if the servo is stable or osculating. Also, you can jog the servo or run them in a long program for testing.