586,089 active members*
3,821 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy New Zealand cnc machinest in over his head

hello peeps from my end of the world, i have decided to get in to cnc machining at home after my normal day job, have brought a Cincinnati arrow 500, i did not know i dam thing about cnc machining before this arrived have made a couple bits and peices to try and get my head around things which have turned out ok, i have only managed to break 2 x 3mm end mils so far lol. do any of you guy here ( in my part of the world ) have the same machine? was just hoping to get a little advice on acouple of things?

Re: New Zealand cnc machinest in over his head

Welcome to the cnc machining world.If you can post your questions here, I believe you will get help.

ok one question for a start, with this machine when you are setting up a single part i have only ever used a G92 position set, do you guys do the same or actually use the main setup procedure? ive read about that way in the manual but by crikey it is really confusing !!!

or i should of stated more clearly is it better and quicker to use the multiple setup page even for a single part or is it best to just use g92 position setup procedure? just want some thoughts on what most people prefer?

For a start, g92 seems to be deprecated these days, superceded by a different g-code.
    But why are you worrying about it anyhow? Why not just set the zero via the DROs?
    Maybe I don't understand.

Cheers
    Roger

using the digital readout? not sure about going that way sorry, The book or 50 manuals i got with the machine do not explain some thing very clearly im using fusion360 cam and when setting up the stock in the machine it requires to input two sides using a edge finder then manually type in half the width and half the length then the g92 position set automatically zero's the machine to the center of the stock, i just thought there might be a easier way to just use the edge finder to touch all four sides (manually) and just enter it in that way just in a similar way that a probe would i guess?? maybe im just asking too much?

Different machines and software - different ways of doing things.

I do my own programming as the CAM SW I could afford can't handle the complexities of what I am doing. That means I can set the origin where I want - usually the front left hand corner of the machining jig I am using. I set that with an edge finder of some sort. It is very repeatable, and fairly simple to set up. making sure the jig is replaced on the table parallel to the axes actually takes most of the time.

The idea of trying to set the origin in the middle of the stock might be OK, but I would do that with a pencil and ruler on the stock, and a simple pointer in the mill chuck. But that wouldn't work when I am using jigs to machine 10 parts at once.

Can't you tell Fusion to put the origin at a corner? It's much simpler that way.

Cheers
    Roger

An origin at a corner is much easier.

Front left is most common. Sometimes on a mill using the vice fixed jaw is another option.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Different machines and software - different ways of doing things.

I do my own programming as the CAM SW I could afford can't handle the complexities of what I am doing. That means I can set the origin where I want - usually the front left hand corner of the machining jig I am using. I set that with an edge finder of some sort. It is very repeatable, and fairly simple to set up. making sure the jig is replaced on the table parallel to the axes actually takes most of the time.

The idea of trying to set the origin in the middle of the stock might be OK, but I would do that with a pencil and ruler on the stock, and a simple pointer in the mill chuck. But that wouldn't work when I am using jigs to machine 10 parts at once.

Can't you tell Fusion to put the origin at a corner? It's much simpler that way.

Cheers
    Roger

Hey thanks for reply. Yea I can put the origin ant any point but what I'm trying to get at is if i did put it at corner then I would not be able to use g92 position setup. I would have to go into the multiple offset setup and that's kinda what I was wondering is if I should be using that procedure instead and if it works Ok for just one particular instead of multiple. Hope I'm not confusing you sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    An origin at a corner is much easier.

Front left is most common. Sometimes on a mill using the vice fixed jaw is another option.
    Do u use this Way on the arrow 500?

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    For a start, g92 seems to be deprecated these days, superceded by a different g-code.
    But why are you worrying about it anyhow? Why not just set the zero via the DROs?
    Maybe I don't understand.

Cheers
    Roger
    Hi. Are you saying like just use a edge finder and use coordinate reset to reset it to zero on two edges where origin would meet on the corner and have the origin at the corner instead of center? Maybe I'm looking into it too much as the manuals are not very apprentice friendly and very confusing!!!!

Are you saying like just use a edge finder and use coordinate reset to reset it to zero on two edges where origin would meet on the corner and have the origin at the corner instead of center?
    Exactly. As far as I know, that is how 99% of Mach users do it. So, for me with jigs:
    Bolt jig to table loosely
    Align pre-machined X edge of jig to X axis by going left&right with an 'edge finder'
    Clock up front left hand corner with edge finder or whatever.

I do have several edge finders, but in practice I use a rod of 6.00 mm carbide and a feeler gauge. That lets me set the zero to a single jog step of 5 um. Then I set the DRO to the appropriate negative distance. It works just fine.

The g92 command is seriously deprecated in the Mach manual, as it clashes with all the other coordinate shifting commands. This mayor may not apply to other controllers.

Cheers
    Roger

I would use the left rear of the part if you're using a vice, that's against the back (fixed) jaw,so it should not change. Use G54 instead of G92.

Using the vice and the BLHC is a nice idea. If the vice is aligned the other way though, and some are, then the front LH corner.

Cheers
    Roger