586,082 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Shopmaster Mill Turn mill tram

Hybrid View

Shopmaster Mill Turn mill tram

Any suggestions for tramming the mill? I emailed Shopmaster and I have not receive a reply. It would be nice if a parts breakdown was available, which might help.
    I received their demo/tester. I've only been cutting air, learning the implementation of G01 linear interpolation, etc. Seems to be a nice, good value machine, other then the mill tram being off. I did have to replace the caster wheels with heavier duty wheels

Re: Shopmaster Mill Turn mill tram

I don't recognize your name- did you buy it used from someone? Can you tell us the serial #.

Hi JT
    S# MS0150015
    Thank you.
    Walt

Walter, I checked your e-mails, and the last one we received was in June when your machine was delivered. Send me another e-mail today to test if it comes through and I will respond and attach the instructions for tramming the head.

Quote Originally Posted by JTJT View Post
    Walter, I checked your e-mails, and the last one we received was in June when your machine was delivered. Send me another e-mail today to test if it comes through and I will respond and attach the instructions for tramming the head.
    I've sent you similar questions and gotten either no response or only a partial response.
    Why can't you just post the instructions? maybe add a support or documentation section to your website.

As I already mentioned, I did receive instructions for tramming by shimming the mill head spindle housing. I thought it more solid to shim the bottom 3 corresponding columns and noticed that shims were already there, so I reshimmed (I got the demo/tester. I also had to replace the caster wheels (original probably 250 lb.(x4) load capacity for 1000+ lb machine, perhaps screw jacks were not in place for testing, and went bad within time (probably fine for quick moving, just use the screw jacks when done moving) I bought the wheels (used orig casters) from Welcome : Stanley E. Smith Online Store. I think part number is WPHXKK3.112XXXR8S (packing slip breaks down to WMP03-221(wheel), BR:1.2-1.38(bearing roller) and SP:1.2-1687 (spanner). I had to spread the caster forks a hair, but works well.
    One problem, I've had, was that the Z movement (mill) sounded like it was crashing, during middle of travel (intermittently). Tightening the set screws for the Z stepper motor shaft pulley seems to correct this.

Is this true on everything with shopmaster. Is everything big secret?

I have been able to correspond with Shopmaster regarding this. My memory's vague, but I think correspondences did not work through the Shopmaster website but did through direct Email so they were good with trying to respond.
    BTW, I think shimming the bottom of the three (front or back) columns for the "Y" tram adjustment is better then shimming the mill head spindle itself.