586,414 active members*
3,462 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 0P-C controller RS232 Parameters

Question Fanuc 0P-C controller RS232 Parameters

Hi All,

I have a Strippit 1000MXP/30 Turret Press that's controlled by a Fanuc 0-PC. I am trying to establish communications via rs232 between my DNC software and the 0-PC.

Originally, this system was hooked up to a MAC computer and used the port connected to M74 on the memory card. At some point in the past, before my time here they blew the COM port connected to M74 and under direction from Strippit they swapped and reconfigured the machine to use the M5 port for the tape reader. This reconfig has worked for a few years now and a couple of days ago I replaced the Memory board. Now I would like to return the system to its original configuration. The procedure given by strippit to reconfig the machine does not seem to work in reverse to re-reconfig (or is it de-config) the system.

Does anyone have a complete listing of the original parameters and setting for this system.

I have tried numerous setting from the internet, but I still get the same error message 086 R/P interface error when I try to send to or receive from the 0-PC.

Thanks,

Scott

Is there any reason you want to change from the M5?
    Did you change the port number?
    The device should remain the same.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi Al,

Its me again...

In a nutshell, my software vendor and their DNC package wants my machine to access the rs232 bidirectionally. From what I understand, the M5 Tape Port is not bidirectional. Only the COM Ports 2 or 3 allow for bidirectional communications, but I could be mis-informed on this too.

I am trying to setup a remote punch function to deliver programs to the controller when requested by the controller.

As for what I have tried so far...

I have tried all 4 of the possible settings for parameters 340 and 341 (0,1,2,&3) This sets the input and output devices on the "Set" screen.

I have tried different settings for the baud rate parameter 311 (bits 0,1,2,3) on each of the above device settings (4800=1001 and 9600=1010).

I have set the machine to different types of handshakes over the ports as well. Parameter 311 bit 5 (0=xon/xoff S/W handshake and 1=dts/dns H/W handshake). I changed the DNC software package to mirror these setting for H/W and S/W respectively.

I can't help but think I'm missing something else though...

And I can send programs to the controller from the PC using the M5 connection and the existing cabling...it is on the controller to PC return side that things fall apart.

I cannot communicate over the M74 connection in either direction regardless of any of the above settings.

Sorry for the lengthy response...

Regards,

Scott

The M5 is bi-directional. Make sure the port and the device is the same for input & output.
    Usually Control to PC is the easiest part.
    If you have the port & device settings right, wrong protocol will usually result in garbage on the PC screen.
    I would double check your cable, if necessary use the three wire cable, with the H.W. handshake jumpered out both ends. use XON/XOFF.
    You can find the setting and cable pinouts on the Cadem.com site.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The 0P-C control uses the hardware of the 0M-C, but it has the same parameter mapping as the old Fanuc 6M-B. The parameter settings for the 6M-B would be:

311: 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 (9600 baud, 1 stop-bit, Xon/Xoff handshaking)
    340: 2
    341: 2

The bit on the far left of 311 just prevents the Fanuc from sending a lot of nulls at the begining and end of the program, and it could be a "0" also.

Both the M5 and the M74 plugs are bi-directional. The "086" alarm indicates that the control is not seeing a signal from the PC on that port. Normally, these signals are jumpered out in the DNC cables, so if you were to plug into M5 and the control is trying to use M74 (or vice-versa), I would expect an alarm 086.

Selecting the M5 or the M74 plug is something that is done on the 0M-C or 0T-C controls with a setting bit marked "I/O". The old Fanuc 6 never had two serial ports, so it never had this bit. On the 0M-C control, a setting of "0" or "1" uses the M5 port, while a setting of "2" or "3" uses the M74 port. Also, the M74 port required an additional option parameter on the 0M-C control.

I would suspect that there is another parameter bit somewhere that's unique to the 0P-C control, and you may have to get that from the 0P-C manual. I don't have any information on that.

Do you have a bit marked "I/O" on your setting screen? The Fanuc 6M didn't have one. If you do, then there might be some other parameter tricks that we can try.

After some conversations with a FANUC Factory Technician, I came to find out that my issue is parameter related. Apparently the 0P-C controllers for a turret punch press are configured differently than say a CNC milling machine by their respective manufacturers. My equipment maker, Strippit typically does not configure the system for bidirectional communications. This setting is directly controlled by bit 1 of Parameter 18. A zero in bit 1 sets the controller to a read only configuration regardless of which I/O device you choose.

Store that information back in the memory banks for future reference...

Re: Fanuc 0P-C controller RS232 Parameters

Dear Friends

Can i get Fanuc OPC Parameter Manual
    L. Sakthivel
    Email:[email protected], website:www.premierengrs.com