586,444 active members*
3,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > High school teacher with Tecno-Isel Davinci issue
Page 1 of 2 12

High school teacher with Tecno-Isel Davinci issue

Hello Forum. I'm a newbie but I needed to join because of a couple of CNC machine issues I have. Plus, I'm not really sure where else to go?
    My dilemma is that I have 2 10+ yr old Techno Isel Davinc's. Both need new Zaxis motors and are currently being repaired.
    As I look online I am seeing CNC wood routers for just the same size priced at one tenth of what we paid 10 or so years ago.
    I would like to keep them but would like to move to as much open source as I can. Is there a way to re-build or replace that controller box-its just large and heavy-and
    build/buy an Arduino type control box for it??? Most of the new CNC's I see are Arduino controlled?
    I do not have that much knowledge about this but I am wondering if this can be done?? Thanks in advance

Re: High school teacher with Tecno-Isel Davinci issue

MrJBeast~

What is your timeframe? We're in January, I'm assuming the kids are back in class. Days, weeks?

~john

Quote Originally Posted by johnohara View Post
    MrJBeast~

What is your timeframe? We're in January, I'm assuming the kids are back in class. Days, weeks?

~john
    I really do not have a time frame. We have been in class since Jan4.

MrJBeast~

I just finished building a new cnc controller for my DaVinci but I'm out of town until next week -- which is why I asked. The
    configuration is arduino based, uses 485 oz/in. steppers, new stepper drivers, power supplies, etc. I got it all to fit nicely into
    a mid-size computer case. And it works.

I still have to document and photograph what I did so I can post it to my Techno-Isel thread. Your post is timely to say the least.

In addition, I taught high school math and computer science for 15 years including AP Computer Science for 10 years. This
    configuration (Arduino, RAMPS 1.4, BeagleBone Black, or Raspberry Pi ) creates fertile ground for students -- hardware AND software.

I'd welcome an opportunity to work with you and your students (with permission of course). Would be fun and mutually educational.

Thanks for posting.

~john

Thanks for that response.
    That was indeed timely. Hope to hear from you soon.

Will post to this thread next week.

~john

John, I really appreciated your photos of your DaVinci machine as you were cleaning and rebuilding it. Thanks for posting.

Since John can help with guidance for the Arduino controller, that sounds like a terrific way to go.

I just changed a ten year old, used DaVinci to a Gecko G540 based controller that I built. I also changed the motors to 380 in-oz. It was an easy switch. My machine was extremely clean, probably used very little, so I did not have to disassemble it like John did.

Previously, I had larger, 48" x 48" CNC machines in my studio. I sold them when I retired last September and wanted the Davinci for my small studio at home. I am extremely pleased with the machine's quality. Repeatability and backlash tests produced outstanding results -- far better than what the current, inexpensive machines can produce.

Just completed the dust collection hoses into the enclosure today, so I have not yet posted any photos.

Wishing you great success,

Bob

mrjbeast

I was at the local school on sunday afternoon..
    exactly just like your situation..

in my opinion, every single cent is a waist to spending on those machines..
    they are just about too small even for a classroom..

back in the 90's they were a great option.. but since that 20 years gone..

if one like it, then sell it, and go out for one you saw for lot cheaper..

if anyway keep these machines, just go for a new control...

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...er-control-box

or you can get small machine for really low price

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...-1500w-spindle

this machine from china might comes for 1700

for a little more you can get a 2x3 feet machine.. what you have right now, they are obsoleted.. you just can not make a project larger than palm sized..

The DaVinci is a great machine. Much higher quality than the cheap Chinese ebay routers. The Techno software sucks though. I just finished replacing the original controller and drive PCB in the DaVinci with a Gecko G540, There is enough slack in the stepper cables to attach the connectors to the G540. Fits right in where the old PCB was mounted. I use LinuxCNC (free and open) on a computer hooked to the G540 via a parallel port cable. Uses the original power supply. Runs much nicer now and I am not limited by the 25 year old Techno controller software. Costs were about $285 for the Gecko G540 and about $15 for the Dsub connectors and wire. Attached is a picture of a set of pistol grips I built and checkered with it.
    John C
    carpenterswoodworking.com

I agree, John, that the DaVinci is a much higher quality machine, especially with the Gecko G540.

Putting the G540 into the pocket of the DaVinci and reusing the power supply and motors was a great idea.

Bob

Thanks for your input JohnC. Everyone here seems to be very knowledgeable and helpful. Trying to sort through these posts and hope I do not screw up too much. Anyway about that Davinci. You said you swapped out and replaced the Davinci controller with the Gecko 540? Does that mean you got rid of that huge controller box that the Davinci sat on? That grey box?
    Attachment 306372
    Not sure if that image will work???

yes
    that bulky box you can replace..

either way to build a control, or just buy a ready and hook on the exist motors if they are working yet..
    in my opinion if you buy parts and build a control overall you wont save really money..
    and I think you want to be busy with teaching not with building equipment

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...er-control-box

also in my opinion no matter how good that davinci it just too small..
    on other hand if that so good, then you have chance to buy original control.. techno still exist in new York, only change they are sell only isel parts like this davinci..

it just very frustrating that folks telling how good is it, and with their other words they are saying buy another control...

Thanks. I understand the size issue. That Davici is near 19x12 in. For what I do...that is OK. I am more interested in using it to show students how CNC systems function. I know I cannot build a large project. Anyway that Davinci is big enough and heavy enough anyway.
    As far as that controller box is concerned. The Davinci I have was one of the first ...I believe. That big control box fits underneath the CNC. I did have trouble with that motherboard in the controller and worked with Techno to get it fixed. In the meantime they upgraded that unit and got rid of THAT grey box and replaced it with a desktop computer like unit. They were going to charge me $2K to update it. That was not in my budget. Nor is it now.
    I decided to inquire here amongst more knowledgeable CNC people whether it is possible to update and/or change the controller + software and how much it might cost. In the end I may be able to take that unit home to my garage and update it myself. (It has been sitting for 2yrs or so) Is such a nice machine, I would love to have it for myself. We will see about that. In the end I would like to fix it ---either for me---or for my school/students.
    Time is really an issue. Finding time for it is an issue. But I would like to get some some plans together to upgrade it. And plan on spending some time with it this summer.
    So thats really what I am looking at.

well you have several option to stay in the budget..
    since youre a teacher learning is not far form you..

the lowest cost option for you about 120-150 to get working this router..

versus the isel, or techno pricelist controlcard itself 1300 plus you cant use itself, because it has midband resonance you can filter with those wheels on each stepper motor..
    motors itself cost 150 approximately 3-4 times more than their real value..
    you check the list in this pdf and youll see why I was mentioning , even its a """quality"" it doesn't worth to keep..

================================================== ============================

so, heres the lowest cost option

4Axis NEMA 23 Stepper MOTOR287OZ in Driver Board 1A TB6560 Power Supply CNC Kits | eBay

this set require electronical knowledge... and you can get it working

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-software.html

================================================== =================================================

for a little more

Usfree SHIP Wantai 4Axis Nema23 57BYGH115 003 3A 425oz 4LEADS Driver 4 2A 50V | eBay

if you can use the exist motors then it cost only 150 approx.

================================================== ==========================================

you can use the exist big box for this control..

================================================== ===========================

of course if your budget let it do.. then go for a g540 or buy a readybuilt.. control, where simply just attach motors..

================================================== ============================

this machine was around the 90's a very advanced something.. but since that prices are came down a lot..

just because in the mid 90's a digital watch costed 50-100 dollar the cheapest, it doesn't mean today that watch worth 100...

you need really take your time, getting familiar with control and you will solve it of very little cost.. even you can teach your students..

samples are for 4 axis..
    who knows later you might can attach a 4th stepper and make some rotary work..

I run a stock DaVinci III. I believe that's the same model as John O'Hara's.

These are solidly built and feature quality parts. Other than that, most of the posted comments are spot on. My working area is about 10.2" X 11.5" which works for small projects but I wish I had more. If you use g-code you have to pass it through ISEL's PAL to G-code translator and out an RS-232 serial port. Interestingly all the software and manuals are all still freely available online and the 1980's software still runs on my 64 bit Windows 7 PC.

That said, I don't advocate that anyone pursue this path. I went this route for the machine quality and price point. I'm sure that those who changed out their original controllers will be happy with the change. I personally didn't want to bother with a conversion, and I'm not a fan of spewing step pulses out a parallel port.

I think that the Techno Isels have some life left in them. If you can get an easy path to a modern USB controller it would be worth the a look.

Mr JBeast. The mechanical parts of the Davinci are good. The electronics and controls are less good. I used the stock electronics and controls for a long time. What pushed me to convert was that I wanted to use a fourth axis with the DaVinci and the stock controls had no provision for a fourth axis. My Davinci is much smaller than yours and uses steppers. The milling area is about 12 inches by 10 inches by 2.5 inches. The unit weighs 90 pounds but easily fits onto my desktop. The electronics for my DaVinci were contained in the structure of the unit. Power supply was in the right hand vertical column and the 3 axis control and driver electronics were in the left hand column. I removed the electronics from the left hand side and replaced it with the G540 from Gecko Drives. This is a 4 axis unit and was able to fit with the left hand side column. The power supply in the right hand side was used without modification. Instead of the Techno G Code software I used before I am now using Linux CNC and connect from the computer to the G540 with a parallel cable. See pictures.

Your DaVinci is much larger than mine and has a huge control box. Your method of using the Techno control stuff or replacing it depends of what you have now. Some of the DaVinci routers used servos rather than steppers. They are a completely different technology and I am not familiar with them. If yours is a stepper model then conversion is simple and inexpensive. If you can afford it buy the $300 G540 from Gecko. It is bullet proof and has anti-resonance electronics. If you gotta go cheap get a 4 axis TB6600 based controller/driver off ebay.. Probably about $120. LinuxCNC is freeware. You will need a computer with a parallel port or a parallel port pci card for the more recent computers. Look in your closet for an older computer. You will need a parallel cable to connect the parallel port of the computer to the 4 axis driver board. $12. The steppers in your machine will wire directly to the TB6600 driver board. The limit switches will also wire to the driver board. Use the original power supply. This conversion to a modern control system should not cost you more than $200. You could also use Mach3 instead of LinuxCNC if you want to purchase that also. $160 T I think.

Lots of people have done this here on cnczone so there is plenty of help available.
    John C
    carpenterswoodworking.com

Hi all

Sorry I'm late to this thread, we just noticed it.

Just so you know, the original poster's machine is a servo system with servo motors, and does not use the stepper davinci interface. It uses the Techno CNC servo interface. I agree that the Stepper davinci interface was lacking significantly, and I think the servo interface was far better.

Just thought you'd like to know - so that means you can't drive those motors with stepper amps, you'd need to replace the motors with steppers, or get step servo amps.
    Or contact us and we'll be happy to help you get the machine running with the existing hardware and software you already own.

Regards,
    Eric
    Eric Feldman - Design Engineer, Programmer
    Armor CNC - http://www.armorcnc.com Support hours: 7am thru 10pm EST, 7 days a week

dear HaaryR i bought a second hand isel cnc davinci3 but all the manuals are in german aand as you mentioned that all the software and manuals are all still freely available online could you please inform me the site where i can download the manuals i english thank you for your hlep andre

dear HaaryR i bought a second hand isel cnc davinci3 but all the manuals are in german aand as you mentioned that all the software and manuals are all still freely available online could you please inform me the site where i can download the manuals i english thank you for your hlep andre

Page 1 of 2 12