586,067 active members*
5,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Need help: Z axis proximity sensors and homing setup

Need help: Z axis proximity sensors and homing setup

Hi all, hoping Mach3 is the right place to post this.

I'm trying to setup a Z axis proximity sensor on my machine so I can home the z-axis. I have put in a new proximity sensor and connected it to my Leadshine Mx4660
    controller on input 5, which is mapped to port 2 pin 10 on the outputs.

I've then connected a ribbon cable from the controller to the Ethernet Smoothstepper on port 2 (using the 2nd 26 pin connector on the MX4660)

When powered up, the led on the M12 cable is lit, and when I trigger the prox sensor manually, the led on the cable toggles off, and the led on the prox toggles on. So it seems like that part is fine.

In Mach 3, I went into config and:

1) Enabled port 2 (address is listed as 0x278 - no idea where that came from or if it is valid).
    2) in inputs, I enabled Z-, Z+, and Z homing (there are actually two proximity sensors for Z).
    3) they are set to active high just like my other 5 proximity sensors.

However, what I see in diagnostics now is that the M3 switches are ALWAYS lit up.

When I go to the ESS plugin data monitor, I cannot get the checkbox on port 2, pin 10, to toggle when tripping the prox switch.

So from that screen, it looks like port 2 simply isn't working (is there something else to enable it?)

But, if that were the case, why do I get the M3 lights on diagnostics to light up?

ALso, with this setup, I would have expected a "ref all home" to first home the axis (which is really why I want this, to get it out of the way before homing Y), but it doesn't do that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: Need help: Z axis proximity sensors and homing setup

Resolved. Appears to be that my cable is not meant to be used with NPN sensors... swapping for a different cable, it works fine on Port 2.