586,366 active members*
3,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > BobCad-Cam With BobNest anyone using software?

BobCad-Cam With BobNest anyone using software?

Looking for feedback on the BobCAD line of software products.
    Have downloaded their demo versions. In less than 24 hrs a rep has called wanting to set up an online demo/training session.

NOTE: for anyone about to buy their software they have a 75%off sale going on till Dec. 22. Not much warning, but someone might take advantage if ready to purchase.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

I have BobCAD 21 and like it. It's my first CAD software program I'd ever used and seems easy enough for me although I'm sure there are better packages out there. I don't have BobNest but I don't feel I need it either. It's easy enough for me to nest in BobCAD, although I'm sure BobNest is really easy.

I was offered the nesting software soon after I registered for a good deal and I turnded it down. A month later, they called again and offered it to me for an even better deal. It was really tempting but I again turned it down.

Well I have been using AutoCad for years & have no wish to learn another. It isn't hard to move files from ACad to Bob. BobNest has to be used with Bcad-cam to work. I use so many small parts that I can get from the drops from larger pieces. It will be quite a time saver for me.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Those bobcad guys will clamp on to you like a pit bull to sell their stuff to you.
    I downloaded a demo one time and I started getting faxes, emails, and then phone calls pumping me to buy. Stay away from their website info form if you are only looking.

We have BC 20 and 21....It's been years since I used a CC program but its coming back slowly. We also have BobNEst.....I have yet to have it cut out multiple nested parts correctly. But in their defense, I had problems with the same parts in Sheetcam.

Still working on the problems in the shop!

Phil

I like the bobcad/cam just fine, even the bobart is growing on me( it used to crash my old computer all the time) I did try messing with the bobnest for quite a while since i may cut hundreds of the same part at a time, but I dont care for it. It seems to be a very young program with none of the features that some of the other programs have. Also it was annoying to have to select segments of each shape in a certain order. check out Most2D, It was really handy, little tricky figuring out how to get the output how i needed it, by it really really studies stuff before it creates a nest.

Bobnest V3.0 is the way to go... We've since upgraded to ProNest8 but for a program that cost's literaly 1/20th, it's the way to go. The new version has lots of features that ProNest charges $500 per feature. -Jeff

One of the "fixes" I got from the company that built my table was to ground the plasma cutter directly to the grounding rod.....I have yet to try a multiple part yet.....I don't have much faith as the company has tried to get my table to run properly for the last three months unsuccessfully!

Phil

Actually, proper grounding for noise reduction is a valid "fix" for most plasma cutters. For older HF start machines it has to be observed even closer. A lot of systems won't work at all with the older plasma units.

I don't know what kind of plasma cutter you have but grounding the chassis of the plasma unit AND the table itself to a close ground rod goes a long ways in solving noise problems.

The quality of the building AC wiring fits into the equation as well. The computer and interface electronics (THC etc) are isolated from the table/plasma ground on purpose because most noise travels on grounds. We call it galvanic isolation. Both systems ultimately find a common (but poor) ground back at the main breaker box. Any other ground connection between the two sets up a ground loop condition that noise (Higher frequency stuff) loves to travel on.

I noticed in an earlier post you stated the motors were wired in reverse.....unless the encoders were out of phase (causing a motor run-away) then there is no such thing. The direction of motion is determined by the software setup.

The NC limit switches (not Homes) are correct. The circuit is activated when all switch's are closed (inactive) and trips when any switch in the string is activated (or there is a loose wire or anything to break the string). Once again this is a setup issue in the software to recognize the limit condition.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com